Looking for curator and info dissemination guru for Sound Techniques A range. Zero work, all glory, pro bono.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pahstah said:
At 30:03 minute you can see the ST A-Range desk used to mix Altamont Rolling Stones concert. from the tape box on the desk I guess this is Trident studios, before they installed their A-Range desk they used SoundTechniques A-Range desk.

https://youtu.be/GJyj02Tn-WY

https://youtu.be/iE9vKG3p-9Y

Oh Wow!  That's a great find Paulo, thank you :)
I  don't actually know if it's Trident Studios< can't see enough of the whole room,  but Ken Scott will know.  I'll get this clip to  him.

Winston O'Boogie said:
Oh Wow!  That's a great find Paulo, thank you :)
I  don't actually know if it's Trident Studios< can't see enough of the whole room,  but Ken Scott will know.  I'll get this clip to  him.

You're right: the box with the Trident Studios doesn't necessarily means this is Trident studios... I'll search pictures of Trident studios.

Winston O'Boogie said:
Holy f**k man!  How are you finding this?  I searched for ages and only found  The Doors clips.
I'm not sure on the studio tbh, De Lane Lea?  Anyway, I'm on the case to find out.
Amazing stuff. 
Now, if only there was any footage at all of Nick Drake, it would answer lots of questions for me. 

Thank you :).

you're welcome  ;D

I'm doing a thread for Helios clips too

pahstah said:
you're welcome  ;D

I'm doing a thread for Helios clips too

Cool  :)

OK, the footage of the ST stuff is:

Both The Stones, and The Doors at Elektra on La Cienega Blvd.
Deep Purple at DeLane Lea

These Sound Techniques consoles look really awesome,
is there any chance anyone has the schematic for the mic pre?

Would love to check that out

Also what's the relationship of the "A-Range" name between Sound Techniques consoles and Trident Consoles?

Thank you

Winston O'Boogie said:
Cool  :)

OK, the footage of the ST stuff is:

Both The Stones, and The Doors at Elektra on La Cienega Blvd.
Deep Purple at DeLane Lea

Thank you John! Priceless informations!
I thought the Stones footage was from some studio in England but it obviously make more sense for it to be in Hollywood since they were editing the movie for Altamont.
What i know is that in Hollywood there were two consoles at the time, one at Elektra and one at Sunset Sound.

John, the description of this video says it is Olympic Sound Studios. It's the same footage of the mixing of Rolling Stones Concert of Altamont, different song. What do you think? could be? Also, in the comment someone says it's Trident...

ok, it's Olympic at the end of the video, at the beginning they are at Trident if the comments are correct

https://youtu.be/Rb0v66_81xU

pahstah said:
John, the description of this video says it is Olympic Sound Studios. It's the same footage of the mixing of Rolling Stones Concert of Altamont, different song. What do you think? could be? Also, in the comment someone says it's Trident...

ok, it's Olympic at the end of the video, at the beginning they are at Trident if the comments are correct

https://youtu.be/Rb0v66_81xU

OK yep, I'll go with that.  A friend had mentioned it was possibly Elektra so I  probably jumped the gun earlier. 

Studio Sound year 1970, pages 41-42 Trident studio article:

Trident studio had two Sound Techniques control desk, one (20 inputs and 16 outputs) was in the main room, the other (20 input and 8 output) was in the reduction room.

gyraf said:
It's in 11/1970, page 505 ff: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Studio-Sound/70s/Studio-Sound-1970-11.pdf

/Jakob E.

Thank you Jakob, I forgot to insert the link.. ::)

To answer the question from Whoops at the top of the page:
The two consoles have very little in common. The A-Range name, and they both used the McMurdo Red Range connectors in the rear. (two for the ST, one for Trident)
Completely different amplifier  circuitry, transformers, etc... the ST input is completely unique in it's Impedance and Pads on the input. Both sound incredible.

That Studio Sound mag brought back some memories. Earlier in the mag is an instalment of David Robinson's all transistor mixer. I actually built a small mixer using some bare PCBs he sold. In 1970 I was off the university and I took it with me and used it on numerous jam sessions.

Four years later I joined Neve and about a year later, if memory serves, Trident announce their first console. I went as a Neve spy to the launch to find out what the competition were up to.

Happy Days,

Cheers

Ian

kpearsall said:
To answer the question from Whoops at the top of the page:
The two consoles have very little in common. The A-Range name, and they both used the McMurdo Red Range connectors in the rear. (two for the ST, one for Trident)
Completely different amplifier  circuitry, transformers, etc... the ST input is completely unique in it's Impedance and Pads on the input. Both sound incredible.

So it was a situation were Trident Studios had a ST A-Range, and when they did their own Trident console decided to maintain the "A-Range" name?

I can't speak to the thought process behind it, just having worked on both consoles I know the design. They probably thought the McMurdo connectors were high quality (and rightly so) and decided to use them. My understanding is "A-Range" back then was like saying "top of the line", or "best in class". somewhat generic, though that didn't stop the current Trident owners from trademarking the name.

Back