Looking for curator and info dissemination guru for Sound Techniques A range. Zero work, all glory, pro bono.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops said:
So it was a situation were Trident Studios had a ST A-Range, and when they did their own Trident console decided to maintain the "A-Range" name?

Hi Whoops,
sorry about not being in touch for a couple f weeks, my bad.

According to Geoff Frost -  Trident, after buying their 2 desks from Sound Techniques started requesting to buy parts (mostly transformers) from S.T. and, after a point, Sound Techniques realised Trident were building a desk/desks themselves so sales of parts were halted to Trident and the two companies parted ways.  Trident went on to build their desk with a different design but  kept using (stole?) the "A Range' name.

kpearsall said:
To answer the question from Whoops at the top of the page:
The two consoles have very little in common. The A-Range name, and they both used the McMurdo Red Range connectors in the rear. (two for the ST, one for Trident)
Completely different amplifier  circuitry, transformers, etc... the ST input is completely unique in it's Impedance and Pads on the input. Both sound incredible.

Cool, so I'm assuming you got those four Sound Techniques modules sorted yes?  Hope Danny was able to help you out and you have a new contact anyway.
Cheers.

yes there were a ton of problems as usual. Had to replace one of the wafers in the Bass EQ switch, one input transformer was broken and needed to be repaired, and then a few bad components on the amp boards, relays, etc... Didn't end up getting anything from Danny. But got it all figured out and they sound fantastic. Just waiting to find two more Ernest Turner Meters (which I may have found) and we got it nailed.

kpearsall said:
yes there were a ton of problems as usual. Had to replace one of the wafers in the Bass EQ switch, one input transformer was broken and needed to be repaired, and then a few bad components on the amp boards, relays, etc... Didn't end up getting anything from Danny. But got it all figured out and they sound fantastic. Just waiting to find two more Ernest Turner Meters (which I may have found) and we got it nailed.

OK yeah, I doubt those things ever had any kind of service since the day Elektra took the desk out of commission so...  50 years?
Sorry for the detour on the way and that Danny didn't give you anything but, good job on your end getting them sorted.  Yes I agree, they do sound fantastic!

Here's the desk at Elektra that your modules came from.
You need to put some flower stickers on your Ernest Turners! 

Attachments

• Elektra.jpeg
    Elektra.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Ken Scott just posted this picture online, it's taken during George Harrison's All Things Must Pass
This was 50 years ago at Trident Studios and shows Ken, George, and the ever faithful Mal Evans.
Desk is a S.T. A Range

Attachments

• ATMP  50 years ago.png
    ATMP 50 years ago.png
    385.3 KB · Views: 86
Just to add a bit more info about the ST vs. Trident A-Ranges:

It's not just the mcmurdo red range connectors that are the same, but also the talkback microphone. It's a Foster DF-1X 600 ohm plastic handheld mic in a panel mount clamp. Trident used these in the A, B, and Fleximix at least.

Having been through an entire ST console at this point, I can assure everyone that the two consoles didn't share anything else. They are just two completely different great sounding consoles.

Ah the CTS desk, OK. Good stuff :)
For sure those earlier modules you had were from the same batch as I'd looked at and came from the Elektra desk.
I think the difference is an added inductor for the low end.

Oh no there are plenty of differences. Elektra has additonal bandwidth control on high EQ, but CTS has the ability to make the top end a shelf. CTS is missing the impedence and pad switching on the preamp. CTS preamp is a simple rotary gain switch and the switch and amp for it are actually in a smaller fader module instead of where you would expect.

Why Delete? there's a lot of great historical info here

I know and I'm sorry. But it is with the best of intentions.
The short version, which will be as summary as I can manage at the moment (been a long hard week) so, the post is still very long as my brain is unable to edit due to info and responsibility overload.
I apologise.

Jump to point/2 (bottom of the post) if ya just want the solution to possibly getting a much better Sound Techniques thread on this topic. With more info.

There are two reasons for the delete:
1/ Edit: point 1 erased because I just don't care anymore. Email me if you need to speak to me about anything. Otherwise, please keep my name out of your posts if you're posting accusations which contain major untruths, or guesses about which you have no idea, regarding me, David John Hinson.

And
2/ However I believe that the Sound Techniques desk is worthy of a better thread. I have schematics that could help guys have a go at building one.
I do not want what I have to be posted here to muddy the waters because I think someone else should be the main guru or antiquarian now.
I think Paulo (helios thread) should be custodian and sharer of any info I am legally allowed to share with the community on Sound Techniques. Plus, I do not own any suitable computer for re-drawing etc. rn.
I will still contribute to the thread, if I think of anything worthy of "saying out loud" if I stop by.

Last edited:
Good Lord that is so sad John, I pray that you find some peace of mind in the years to come. Sorrow for your loss.

I just came across this as I was interested in this thread>

CJ no my friend. Do not be sad. I am medically better now, and it gets more so all the time.
All good here dude.
Hope you're all Guchi with your life my friend, love ya brother in old audio 'espionage' ;)

Last edited:
John, I'm terribly sorry about your parents. Really hope you keep getting better. All the best man! You've been a tremendous help through the years, I can't help but feel we're all losing a wealth of knowledge in you. You have my email, please stay in touch!

Happy that someone is taking up the position of custodian of any ST related info. I am currently under NDA for these matters and can't be as much help as I liked. Although, Since I didn't receive ANY help while working on the Elektra ST modules 4 years ago, I had to draw my own schematics to even get them functioning, and my NDA doesn't cover any of that. I'll be of as much help as I am able. After the Elektra Modules, I did an EXTENSIVE refurb on the entire CTS wembley ST console, half of which is currently in service as a mini console while we are waiting for the finished full size frame. With those projects, and a yet undisclosed secret project of vintage rebuilding, I might just have the most experience with these than anyone I know, and am happy to help where I can legally do so.

I have the original, hand drawn blueprint of the A range that was sent to me and a friend - Brian Kehew (recording the beatles coauthor)- by the desk designer and Co owner of Sound Techniques studio- Geoff Frost.
This was after Brian had researched and found out about ST for his and Ryan's upcoming book.
I also examined about 12 original, unmodified A range channels from the original Elektra desk so that should a bonus.
My hesitation in publishing was simply that, Brian's good friend ended up buying the name and rights and I thought, OK cool, someone will make these things.
However, the new ST do not seem too interested in building much except very expensive complete desks at this point so, how does one get a couple of channels that approximate the originals without having to buy very big $ for a desk?
I have other ST schemes from the later Olympic boards (parametric mids) but I acquired those from an ex Olympic and Sound Techniques techie guru and so, I would not want to publish those without permission.

None of this is that hard to understand or build, no magic involved. Like the RS.124... what was once mythical is found to really be quite a simple but elegant circuit. Easy when you know how.

A person who can redraw from some mobile photos I have (saves me going to get, then scan the big bluepront) about 6 separate mobile pics should allow someone, with advice if needed from me, to create a good working starting point. I do not have exact info on the input transformer but there are enough intelligent folks here who can get close enough in spec once the scheme is available.

I will help, but will need time due to the personal stuff here right now.

Later, my fellow offianados of antiquarian audio kit.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear about your parents passing. RIP.

The early Hendrix recording done at DeLane Lea we’re record through a ST. There is a magic in the sound to my ears (Wind Cry’s Mary) that’s the song, the playing, the compression on cymbals, tape and whatever else. And then there is that console. I would love to know more.

Back