Worlds best speakers...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iomegaman

GDIY Supporter
Of course the title to this youtube vid is a bit of clickbait...however the science behind it seems rather sound...and honestly I kind of enjoy his detailed approach...of course speakers are more than frequency response bt still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIye4RZ-5k

No one who has spent many $k on genelecs wants to hear this...and frankly these seems to lack the ability to really move the low end (which is probably a factor of using 1" material versus 1/100th")...but at less than $100.00 it is still impressive...

I wonder how much of our studio monitor lust is really just a volkswagon in a ferrari body?

I wonder how much of speaker cost is superfluous? One of the guys in the comments makes a mention of expensive B&W's...

Of course I am in the bottom end of actual studio monitor ownership...

I only have three sets of speakers in my control room, a set of 1970's floor Jensens with 15" woofers, a set of Mackie HDR824's and some KRK's...(I have some Tannoys not hooked up because I lack enough amps)

When I want to feel the low end I include the Jensens with the Mackies, the high end is always there...(the Jensens suffer from age fatigue here and sound a bit "plastic")...

When I want a full sound stage I pop on my Grado RS-1's (originals) which are open back and then mix the volume so that I hear all the speakers at about the same dynamic...the detail is immense at that point...closing your eyes you can place everything in the mix at seemingly real distances/etc...

But for a $100 I might try this.

Just to see with my ears.

By the way this guy did a video on sound in helium that was really amazing...apparently the less than air density of helium makes it an excellent sound barrier.

Very interesting video.  Lots to think about .  Love that upstairs room.  Be great recording acoustic instruments in.

I haven't watched the video yet but, Winston Churchill was a pretty good speaker.  Although he'd probably have preferred the noun 'orator' over speaker...  ?

;)  Will watch it later, thanks. 

I love that fire extinguisher right behind his head! Makes you wonder what level of crazy this guy gets to!

Just started it; thx for sharing.

Mike

Edit - also noticed he was using the epoxy mixed into one tube. That epoxy would harden in that add-on tube and ruin his future use of it!

After watching ~90% - I'm impressed. The sound was a bit funny to me; like it was filtered somehow, which is I guess what you'd expect from these. But I also take issue with his microphone placement, and the room acoustics. Makes it all very hard to really tell how it sounded in that room. But interesting!

Yes I like his channel. Quite the polymath.  The one he did on magnetohydrodynamics and mercury was fun to watch. I think he's trying to disrupt the refrigeration market too. :)

Amazing video and channel, thx for charing!

Haha I think we have a couple of spare acoustic plates in a storage in the studio, would be a fun project.

There was a brand in the late seventies that sold this kind of speakers. Didn't last too long as the age of hifi came to an end, ending in massive sales offers and shops closing.

It didn't sound bad at all, but lacked a bit of low. None of the big names would even consider it.

And, yes, he's got interesting vids. I like the one about banana beer... ;-)

Back