How to clean your mixing desk ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
I bet he did that just before photographing it to put on eBay.

Cheers

Ian

Looking "mint condition" ::)

For curiosity: While there shouldn´t be a problem if thoroughly dried (right?),
there´s actually no way to 100% do that apart from storing 2 years in the sahara?

L´Andratté said:
Looking "mint condition" ::)

For curiosity: While there shouldn´t be a problem if thoroughly dried (right?),
there´s actually no way to 100% do that apart from storing 2 years in the sahara?

Time is your friend.

I have actually washed hifi amplifiers (smoky ones, from a pub) in the bathtub several times. Not a problem if the last rinse is with demi water and you can let 'em dry for at least a few weeks.

I once bought a stereo set that had been on the bottom of a canal, in a house boet for several months. After washing the mud off, everything except the Nakamichi deck and the Magnepan speakers worked. IIRC, I only had to replace a self in the deck.

I didn't try to repair the electrostatic speakers at first. The wooden foot was crooked and the space around the membrane was filled with caked on mud. They spent a few years in my garage. While cleaning out some old stuff, I washed out the mud without much care. I let them dry out for a few weeks. Much to my amazement, sound came out after that. Albeit faint and distorted. I gave them to a friend who is handy with carpentry stuff. He restored the woodwork and re-skinned them. They're still in his living room, AFAIK.

SMD boards are another story. Either wash them with alcohol, or stuff 'em in a drying oven.

mmm now I remember a tour to an  pcb assembly company in czech republic. they had big pools to clean the pcbs from flux and other stuff.  I bet is not good for pots and switches but what happen with electrolytic caps? are they sealed enough?

I vaguely recall some old water soluble fluxes that people liked for simple wash up, but as I recall if you didn't wash all the flux completely away, it could react with moisture over time and trash the PCBs.

JR

Latest posts

Back