U87i build with single backplate capsule?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camarada78

Hi,

I have three k87 dual diaphragm but single backplate capsules laying around but i only have u87i circuit boards laying around. I could build the U87ai  from ground up using Proteus and etching but  it will be a little time consuming and dont want to buy more stuff (parts of the DC converter).

Is it possible to simplify the U87i schematic to use a single backplate capsule?

has anyone tried it?

I'm failed to see a good way to do that without having to make a whole new circuit again.

Thanks for your time. Love the forum.

Long story short - no.

You have, as far as i can figure, three choices:

1) Settle for cardioid-only, or cardioid-and-omni-only

2) Make another PCB with a DC/DC converter, to provide a positive and a negative voltage for the capsule bias (as in the U-87Ai). If you insist on the lower-sensitivity "vintage" mojo whatever, you can just drop the bias voltage from the "standard"-ish 60V to 45V or so

3) Find / make / buy an insulating shim, no thicker than the stock one, to replace the stock brass one;
[ see here for visual details: http://khronscave.blogspot.com/2017/05/a-litle-k67-microphone-capsule-fun.html ]

Khron said:
Long story short - no.

You have, as far as i can figure, three choices:

1) Settle for cardioid-only, or cardioid-and-omni-only

2) Make another PCB with a DC/DC converter, to provide a positive and a negative voltage for the capsule bias (as in the U-87Ai). If you insist on the lower-sensitivity "vintage" mojo whatever, you can just drop the bias voltage from the "standard"-ish 60V to 45V or so

3) Find / make / buy an insulating shim, no thicker than the stock one, to replace the stock brass one;
[ see here for visual details: http://khronscave.blogspot.com/2017/05/a-litle-k67-microphone-capsule-fun.html ]

Man, you are the type of person that makes the world a better place!

Following your tips on the link I managed to fix a defective dual backplate capsule i have! And gave me confidence to repurpose a few cardiod capsules i have laying around. I think i'll make the shin out of some plastic sheets i have laying around. great stuff!

That's what we're here for..(?) ;D

PS: I've been thanked before a couple times, but this is a bit much, i'm gonna blush :D :D :D

Party breaker time. I am not sure it is going to work. Screws are conductive :(

Maybe, just maybe, widen the holes on backplates so that you can pull them through without touching backplate. But then, screws will be resting on just (probably plastic) tensioning rings.

I havent been lucky finding these non conductive screws-attached image.

At this point i would just go with a new DC-DC converter. Or settle with omni/cardioid?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190827-232622_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20190827-232622_Firefox.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 20
kingkorg said:
Party breaker time. I am not sure it is going to work. Screws are conductive :(

Maybe, just maybe, widen the holes on backplates so that you can pull them through without touching backplate. But then, screws will be resting on just (probably plastic) tensioning rings.

I havent been lucky finding these non conductive screws-attached image.

At this point i would just go with a new DC-DC converter. Or settle with omni/cardioid?

Yeah, that is a problem. Although, if you align right you will manage to not touch the backplate, only the oposite one.  the problem i had on my dual backplate one was exactly that. It was try and error until i managed to get a good grip without shorting.
But, with another set that I took two k87 single backplate and made it dual backplate, i only successfully screwd three screws, the forth one was always shorting. I will order some plastic screws if i can find, but i'm not sure if they are m1 m1.1 or something like that.

While you are there, you might want to experiment with spacer thicknes. Couple of micrometers can make enormous sound difference ;)

I’m pursuing option 2; will report once there’s some result.  Don’t hold your breath.....

EmRR said:
I’m pursuing option 2; will report once there’s some result.  Don’t hold your breath.....

I am making a 87ai circuit on proteus but as i do not have a model to follow the first version was lame (i tried a single board approach). And next week i'm trying again, but now with two boards.

I have two Getwin k87 capsules i wanted to experiment to see if there is too much difference between it and the microphone parts ones.

camarada78 said:
I am making a 87ai circuit on proteus but as i do not have a model to follow the first version was lame (i tried a single board approach). And next week i'm trying again, but now with two boards.

I have two Getwin k87 capsules i wanted to experiment to see if there is too much difference between it and the microphone parts ones.

Hi
I would llke to know your experience with Getwin capsule, I was thinking to get one k47 for a Tbone sct800

thak you

It's good capsule for the price. A bit stronger 2-5k midrange than the original, but it is of accurate construction and has definitive k47 vibe. A lot boutique mics are based around this capsule. 

thank you

I'm getting confused because there are many alternatives "cheap" capsules,
also I would like to know about the modifications for the SCT800 Tbone

kingkorg said:
It's good capsule for the price. A bit stronger 2-5k midrange than the original, but it is of accurate construction and has definitive k47 vibe. A lot boutique mics are based around this capsule.

Latest posts

Back