warm audio wa73 eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
… checked a pair of demo units at a pro audio shop  with Genelec monitors ,
and very not bad i.m.h.o.  ,

even better price (350-450 bucks) if they are used ,

it make seriously reflects  if  diy is still  "convenient"….  ::)
(…fun apart…)

I have heard every 1073 clone under the  sun.  I am not impressed by warm and used their font to make Harm t-shirts.  ;D

but the price is good so it makes you wonder why others cost more and the answer is in the iron and in the details. For example the BAE stuff can drop in replace any original 1073 cards.  I guess that is worth the expense.

pucho812 said:
I have heard every 1073 clone under the  sun.  I am not impressed by warm and used their font to make Harm t-shirts.  ;D

but the price is good so it makes you wonder why others cost more and the answer is in the iron and in the details. For example the BAE stuff can drop in replace any original 1073 cards.  I guess that is worth the expense.

i heard from various other BAE owners , 
that they prefer it to others 73s  available today ..

but the price difference between the Warm and the others is so large…

and this price "factor" of the Warm makes it a good "starting  point" for mods and custom ….

cheers

living sounds said:
What is the best clone under the sun? And which one is the best for the money?

+ 1 here ,
…. on the "tube" there are some comparison
ii will be cool as well a comparison also with an original vintage 73

from inside images the eq rotary switches seem to be the same
the gain seem to be not Elma ,
and different way to manage resistors gain steps ,

in the center pcb there is a free place for an inductor  ,
ready for a "mod" ?  ::)

iampoor1 said:
By the time you buy so the parts to mod these...have you really saved any money?

… it depend from how much time require the work done for live..

all the rest apart (parts research and orders manage , chassis  etc..)
pcbs  and the rotary switches assembly are not very simple like drink a beer
and require so many hours ..

and at the end also test and "bias" the assembled unit
have to be considered

hi to all

anybody checked with hands and ears
the warm audio wa73 eq ?

price is very good but it is the same for the device ?

thanks for any relative post !
c
hi to all

the warm audio wa73 eq ?

cheers
I just finished modding one of these to the point that I finally like it. I bought it sight unseen and brand new from an online retailer. To make it so the sound was pleasing to me, I had to:
1) fix the HPF section. They copied a tech page that has the incorrect circuit (not the actual schematic, and certainly not copied from a real unit). And the original circuit values aren't from any known topology; I went for Bessel, as it was closest to what was there (still way different).
2) The gain control had a stepped attenuator pad going into other pads and a dull sound. Not original Neve design. Also, the line transformer and Neve circuitry weren't there. Replaced all of that with stock 1073 circuitry, rewiring the gain switch with new resistors and a transformer for the line input.
3) Added a 4 pin XLR to the PSU output so I can use an external Vintech PSU. Noticeable reduction in noise.
4) Swapped output transformers. Kinda shocked at the difference between what was in there and some other units.
5) For funzies, added a Q switch to go between low Q 1084 setting and high Q (Stock 1073) setting. Low Q doesn't do as much, but it is much more graceful.

What's good in the stock unit: treble circuitry has switchable HF points from 1084, which is an improvement over 1073. Input transformer and film + tantalum signal capacitors are similar to the real thing and of good quality. Inserts make it so you can isolate the mic pre and EQ/output section.

What's bad- it's noisier, PSU + pwr xfrmr isn't isolated. HPF is just wrong. Mic preamp is very dull sounding, especially on the higher gain settings. EQ pots are so loose they will turn if you blow on them, Instrument input goes into the low impedance mic input with a series resistor- useless. No XLR line in. Overdriving the unit yields a saturated sound with poor dynamics.
In the end- I like it, though I wish I'd have bought a used one to mod. I figured that buying a good sounding copy of a well known 50+ year old well documented unit was going to be easier. I now know to suspect all mktg hype. Mod difficulty- moderate.

hi to all

the warm audio wa73 eq ?

cheers
Just finished modding one of these

Last edited:
What is the best clone under the sun? And which one is the best for the money?
Hmmm do you mean commercially available or do you mean as a diy project. I know some guys who basically built 1073’s out of spare parts which sound fab.
If I had to do commercially available, bae. They are pricy but sound nice. Plus can substitute in their boards into a real unit if necessary.

Last edited:
I just finished modding one of these to the point that I finally like it. I bought it sight unseen and brand new from an online retailer. To make it so the sound was pleasing to me, I had to:
1) fix the HPF section. They copied a tech page that has the incorrect circuit (not the actual schematic, and certainly not copied from a real unit). And the original circuit values aren't from any known topology; I went for Bessel, as it was closest to what was there (still way different).
2) The gain control had a stepped attenuator pad going into other pads and a dull sound. Not original Neve design. Also, the line transformer and Neve circuitry weren't there. Replaced all of that with stock 1073 circuitry, rewiring the gain switch with new resistors and a transformer for the line input.
3) Added a 4 pin XLR to the PSU output so I can use an external Vintech PSU. Noticeable reduction in noise.
4) Swapped output transformers. Kinda shocked at the difference between what was in there and some other units.
5) For funzies, added a Q switch to go between low Q 1084 setting and high Q (Stock 1073) setting. Low Q doesn't do as much, but it is much more graceful.

What's good in the stock unit: treble circuitry has switchable HF points from 1084, which is an improvement over 1073. Input transformer and film + tantalum signal capacitors are similar to the real thing and of good quality. Inserts make it so you can isolate the mic pre and EQ/output section.

What's bad- it's noisier, PSU + pwr xfrmr isn't isolated. HPF is just wrong. Mic preamp is very dull sounding, especially on the higher gain settings. EQ pots are so loose they will turn if you blow on them, Instrument input goes into the low impedance mic input with a series resistor- useless. No XLR line in. Overdriving the unit yields a saturated sound with poor dynamics.
In the end- I like it, though I wish I'd have bought a used one to mod. I figured that buying a good sounding copy of a well known 50+ year old well documented unit was going to be easier. I now know to suspect all mktg hype. Mod difficulty- moderate.

Just finished modding one of these
Which OT did you swap it for? Thinking about modding mine as well.

I called Cinemag and took their recommendation.
It was physically smaller, and required drilling. I tried it against a Vintech (no issues, keeping this one), and the stock warm (dull). Very happy. Next mod will be on the Vintech; a dual pot on the mid for variable Q, and a pull pot on treble to toggle 12k & 16k.

Latest posts

Back