Kicad hierarchy and multiple schematics sheets in one document

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Does anyone have clear instructions on how to break up a schematic into multiple sheets or how to have multiple schematic sheets to one project.

I searched the web and couldn't find an  answer other then it does it but no real how to.

Basically my 11 X17 is cramped and would like to have it split onto 2 X schematic sheets to make it easier and less cluttered.

Hello

You have to create hierarchical sheet in you main sheet... then copy past...but I don't remember if you can do it in a project between sheet
Maybe you have to open the target sheet  "stand alone" with the eeschema app and not the .pro, there is an import function that appear only in stand alone mode of eeschema, pick you source sheet, then open the .pro again (and clean the source)

Chapter 7 for hierarchical schematics
Chapter 3.1, "Append Schematic Sheet" to import from another schemo
http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/5.1.4/en/eeschema/eeschema.pdf

Best
Zam

Not sure if you got an answer, but you cannot break up a 'top-level' sheet into multiple schematics.  In other words, you can have only one single root / top level sheet.

What you have to do instead is instantiate hierarchical sheets, which are sub-sheets under the root sheet.  This somewhat forces you to 'block diagram' your circuit, and define the hierarchy beforehand so this works out correctly.

I *hated* this to start off with (especially since it's different than nearly all other CAD programs), however you end up with a usable global-root sheet that always completely describes your circuit on an entire single sheet.

Latest posts

Back