Blore Edwards pots/parts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRR

Do we know Blore Edwards ? https://www.blore-ed.com/

Seem to offer semi-custom multi-unit pots; also stud switches (Painton Plessey) and T-bar faders and knobs. Mentioned and endorsed on another forum, with the note that they are UK and shipping to the US may be high.

I bought a few Plessey type 72 switches from them years (20?) ago.  They were identical in every regard to the old, originals of the same type I was replacing. 
I didn't know they were still operating so, thanks

Yes, +1 for Blore Edwards - good quality and very nice selection of "hard to get" combinations. An they are easy to communicate with, knowledgeable and helpful. When you meet them on trade shows, they carry with them, and proudly show you, selections of must-touch-components - if you're an engineer you know the type of mechanical design that is irresistible :)

I know a startup audio business that uses them nearly exclusively, they're very happy with them.

A really great thing that they resurrected this company, I'd have wished I had access to these materials 20 years ago.

Jakob E.

I used them recently twice.  Brett Cryer is the man to talk to.  As Jakob says. they are extremely helpful & have expanded their product range recently to include switches transformers & pots for quite a few projects that people are building here.

I randomly clicked through the link posted (above), and what I saw in the potentiometer  listings were a lot pf BI brand (decent stuff) as sold at Mouser and CAPI.

Bri

I have used them a few times this year. It is worth keeping an eye on their sale items in the shop. I scored some SIFAM R22 VU meters for about £40.

Cheers

Ian

As above, I’ve found Brett and BE to be very helpful, and willing to go to great lengths to discuss small-volume custom part orders. A couple of years ago I got a quote for some pretty complex concentric multi-deck rotary switches, and the quote came with detailed technical drawings - plus was significantly cheaper than many off the shelf single deck rotaries at about £40/unit (prices may well have changed since).

That said, I didn’t order the parts at that time so can’t vouch for the products myself. I know Gustav (PCBGrinder) has been using them a lot in his recent builds though.

PRR said:
Do we know Blore Edwards ? https://www.blore-ed.com/

Nope, never heard of them. Bookmarked. Remarkable company, thanks for the link.

And in the UK. That should make shipment affordable.

They were my “new” go-to for concentric dual switches until I figured out a nice DIY solution that’s cheaper. Nice products, reasonable prices.

I’m about to build some more and plan to document the process for the DIY switches and post it here. Much better final product than any of the other DIY approaches I’ve come across. So you might wait to buy until you see what I came up with.

It’s a timely topic as I finally cracked open an Opamp Labs 325, and got hold of the very last sets of original inductors from Irene Losmandy at OAL. Looking to document 2 DIY EQs: a copy of the 109 and one of the two frequency EQ of the 1204 TV console. Those dual switches are key.

Edit: but if you’re outside the UK and inclined to buy from them, now would be the time, with the exchange rate where it is due to the Brexit mess.

> a lot pf BI brand (decent stuff) as sold at Mouser and CAPI.

Yes, not all their stuff is unique. But they do have stuff I have not seen readily available in many years; stuff I thought the tooling had been scrapped long ago.

Had a really good experience buying from them, their customer service is superb. I'd highly recommend contacting them about whatever you need. Brett was incredibly helpful!

gyraf said:
..until October, at least..  ;D

Hoping postal costs will remain the same...

Besides, we'll have to wait and see what comes out of that comedy. Boris just threw out 21 members of the conservative party. Could even mean the end for that party.

Back