Mixer Cart

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I just delivered a tube mixer to a customer in North Carolina. He wants to be able to move it around the studio. It weighs about 70 lbs and has a separate power supply. So he asked me if I could recommend a source of some sort of cart - something about table top height on  (lockable) wheels with a shelf under for the PSU. Recommendations?

Cheers

Ian

If it was me I'd use T-Slot framing and make it exactly the way I want it. In the USA a popular brand is 80/20. It's a little DIY so it may not be appropriate. Wouldn't any end table type thing work? Ikea?

Gold said:
If it was me I'd use T-Slot framing and make it exactly the way I want it. In the USA a popular brand is 80/20. It's a little DIY so it may not be appropriate. Wouldn't any end table type thing work? Ikea?

I appreciate that but my customer is not a DIYer. He wants to buy one or have one made for him.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I am not familiar with these, Do you have a link to any

I was thinking something like this.  It was the first I saw when I searched "movie equipment cart" and it is pricey.
Possibly they're less expensive Stateside?

https://www.proaim.be/products/proaim-victor-camera-equipment-cart-trolley

Winston O'Boogie said:
I was thinking something like this.  It was the first I saw when I searched "movie equipment cart" and it is pricey.
Possibly they're less expensive Stateside?

https://www.proaim.be/products/proaim-victor-camera-equipment-cart-trolley

That looks pretty much like what I think he is looking for. Good and sturdy but mobile. I will try a search for one stateside.

Cheers

ian

If the film carts look good I’d go to a restaurant supply place. They’ll have something similar for much less money. Those wheels are way overkill for rolling around a studio. Many restaurant supply places will fabricate counters and tables to order.

I use a lot of restaurant wire shelving. You have to assemble it but I don't think it rises to the level of DIY. That's even cheaper than having something fabricated from stainless steel.

Older style location mixer carts can go fairly cheap used.  I had one recently that I sold for $250, IIRC--I think $250 to $300 is not unusual.  Things have changed a bit as Nagras have given way to digital recorders, so the older carts can often be gotten for a pretty good price.

And on the cheap end of the spectrum...

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/tool-carts/24-in-x-36-in-two-shelf-steel-service-cart-62587.html

You have to put them together from scratch, every last nut and bolt.

I have two of these.

Gene

I have that exact cart. That's what I put all of my electronics stuff on so that I can push it away into a closet. It works fine for that purpose but it is a very cheap item. I don't know why you would want to put a fancy tube mixer on it. That's a service cart for a machine shop where you dump parts being pulled off of an old Ford compact. It would stick out like a soar thumb in even a garage studio.

squarewave said:
I have that exact cart. That's what I put all of my electronics stuff on so that I can push it away into a closet. It works fine for that purpose but it is a very cheap item. I don't know why you would want to put a fancy tube mixer on it. That's a service cart for a machine shop where you dump parts being pulled off of an old Ford compact. It would stick out like a soar thumb in even a garage studio.

Well I sent the link to my customer and he says he likes it.

Cheers

Ian

Back