Success of Alcohol Addiction/Substance Abuse Intervention or Treatment?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gyraf said:
I hear you - but sometimes the available help is much better than no help. As little as I like the AA's methods, I also know people - including close friends - whose life they literally saved. Just sayin'..

Well, if it is the only help availible it is definitely better than no help at all.

Nothing is impossible.............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21DNCh0Jz48&feature=youtu.be
Let her watch this and ask if her problems are worse than this
Nothing is impossible

DaveP

Yes, but would you (or better a professional qualified to judge) actually recommend them as treatment?
AA is certainly a tool. From going to a couple meetings with a friend years ago (more out of curiosity than anything), as well as discussing with another friend, there is value there. Primarily, it is a place where everybody in the room has screwed up just like you have, and you can speak openly and be understood and not judged. This sort of group does not have to be within an AA type setting, but there is value in it.

It's hard sometimes to help. And it's not like you can always just say, "You need help" and the person's like, "You're right! Let's go right now!" and everything is magically better. Doing what you can to be supportive and not taking it personally if things don't go perfectly--that's helpful.

Good luck with this--it can be quite a struggle.

Last edited:
Late to respond but knowing many who have had substance issues.
Regardless of how they quit there are common themes in all who choose sobriety.

They have to want to stop.
No matter how many trips to rehab or whatever If they don’t want to stop then they never will. They may pause but until they say no more, they will pick up again.
That’s great that you care, something the world needs more of. Best of luck on this as it is far from easy.

They have to want to stop
I've thought about updating this in the past but didn't really have an idea of how to describe the way things were going and maybe was waiting for an ending to the story.

She's doing much,much better . Not seeing her directly in harm's grasp as before has been good enough .

Ive seen a load of my pals burn out early to the lifestyle , others wounded ,soldiering on as best they can ,
Bad and all as the world is having to take a drink to face the day is the graveyard of champions .
Learning to say precisely what your brain is telling you to say in the cold light of day , AA may well be the road there for some .

I've thought about updating this in the past but didn't really have an idea of how to describe the way things were going and maybe was waiting for an ending to the story.

She's doing much,much better . Not seeing her directly in harm's grasp as before has been good enough .
Doing better is good, I wish them the best.

Gee, great first post and contribution, thanks for that! I hope you didn't just register for it.

On the other hand, I have to say it. If there is any chance of her or anyone in sorrow and addiction for getting closer to God, there is no better solution, even AA (which I believe is the best behavioral treatment) is based on surrendering one's will to God. Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus.

My two cents....

Last edited by a moderator:
TurnerLynch - I'm getting 'bot vibes from you also.

Would you care to elaborate on why you post here?

/Jakob E.
(Mod)
I dont understand, what is to gain from these bots by posting this garbage? At some point are they going to all activate and flood the forum with ads or what? I don't get it

Back