Preamp Kit Collaboration

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamishb

Hey everyone, first post here. I'm a recording engineer from England and I also run the Somewhere Sound podcast, interviewing people such as Butch Vig, Ken Scott, Al Schmitt, Steve Albini and soon David Gilmour. I got directed to post here by a few people after asking round some other audio building groups.

I'm looking for someone to collaborate with to design some preamps with from the ground up as part of another side of my recording business. It would be 500 series preamps mainly available as kits. Whilst I have some technical knowledge, my skills are as a recording engineer, and I'm not anywhere near knowledgable enough to get into designing preamps from scratch.

As this would be quite an involved project and also it would be a partnership rather than me employing someone, I'm definitely not expecting it to be the right project for everyone, because I'm sure many people won't have the time to invest without being specifically paid for the development phase. I have ideas for some preamps I'd like to see in production which I'll get into in more depth with people who are interested. What I can offer in the partnership is lots of contacts within the audio industry to get the products up and running, as well as the ideas for designs I already have obviously. I'm perfectly happy for the other person to take the lions share of the profit from it, as I'm doing it for a love of audio rather than to personally make money from.

Ideally, I'm looking for someone passionate who is currently a hobbyist but would like to get further into the professional world of it. I'm very keen to make sure it's worthwhile for the other person involved because I'm aware it's a large undertaking.

Again, this definitely isn't for everyone and i'm aware of that! If you have any general questions then feel free to shoot them here, and if you're potentially interested or have further questions then please send me an email at: [email protected]

Thanks for your help everyone.

Hamish

This is a forum for electronic design questions.

Looking for a partner to design a kit preamp is not cleanly a help wanted topic, but closer.

Good luck, I'll leave this up for now, unless we get complaints. 

JR

hamishb said:
I'm looking for someone to collaborate with to design some preamps with from the ground up as part of another side of my recording business. It would be 500 series preamps mainly available as kits. Whilst I have some technical knowledge, my skills are as a recording engineer, and I'm not anywhere near knowledgable enough to get into designing preamps from scratch.

As I fellow member in this forum I will advise you to re-think your business goals, please ask this question yourself:

Is there any space in the market for another mic preamp design?

There's loads of proved and great circuits already that do the job of amplifying a microphone pretty well.
Also people seem to prefer some designs from the 60s and 70s.

Is there really any need to reinvent the wheel?
Is designing and investing independently in a new mic preamp really a business?

Anyway it's your first post, and I guess your post should belong to the "Jobs Available" section in this forum:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?board=12.0

Whoops said:
Is there any space in the market for another mic preamp design?

Certainly don't think there's a need for any more re-jigged Neve, API, etc type thing.  And there are also plenty of choices for clean and accurate.
Is there a market for anything else within the 500 series format?  Not sure. 

I think Hamish said to provide kits mainly. Maybe there is room in the kit market for new offerings, but I am not sure if there is much profit to be turned.

Hello Hamish, welcome to GDIY. 

Will you be picking from tried and tested gain blocks or is experimentation what you're after?
I second the notion that to source a designer / engineer,  posting in help wanted may get you more motivated responses. Also I imagine the more you can articulate your design requirements in advance, the more likely you'll find help.
There are quite a few geniuses around here, but without providing schematics to be critiqued / interpolated, recruitment may be hard won.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back