PCB Cleaning

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredwreck

Wanted to get some knowledge about this.

No matter how many times I spray and clean this PCB with Flux cleaner, and a Qtip with Isopropyl alcohol.  It still looks murky!

What am I doing wrong? Why wont it clean.

Im using Kester 331 63/37 solder.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6119.jpg
    IMG_6119.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
zamproject said:
Hello

Are you sure the varnish don't melt ?

Best
Zam

No the varnish didnt melt.  Just murky.  They say this is water soluble solder, but Im afraid to clean it with water on it.  what do you think?

Just googled Kester 331 and it states:

The residue can be completely removed with a simple heated water rinse. Deionized water is suggested to prevent introduction of chemistries from unknown water sources.

Are you having noise issues because of that? If not, and since most likely the board will be inside a metal(?) enclosure... I personally wouldn't bother ::)

I use miller stevenson or equivalent flux remover and a toothbrush.  If there are open thru holes on the board you have to mop the other side with solvent on a wipe or qtip to do a complete job.
I wear gloves as well.

First I use acid brushes with 99.5% alcohol. Then I use those foam "paint brushes" with the chiseled tip to follow up. If there's any murkiness left I use the blue paper towels (they're lint free) and use my index finger to clean it with some pressure. Beyond that I don't care. As long as it looks OK and it's not affecting the audio I'm fine.

fredwreck said:
What am I doing wrong? Why wont it clean.

I always use this PCB cleaner solution/spray and never run into the same situation, it always gets the boards cleaned perfectly

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/contact-cleaners/8232634/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.26.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 2.26.31 AM.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back