Uptown fader automation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Well this is a good one. Junior tried to replace a fader. In the process he misconnected the ribbon for the module bus causing a bank of faders to have mute function but the leds won’t come on or turn off when mute is engaged. I can’t for the life of see any problems. All fuses and resistors are ok. I see my 5 volt when I measure the led. I replaced the led just to see and it didn’t fix anything.  Any ideas?

Never mind... this was solved....

in the psu for the system,  there is a fuse for each bank of faders. junior popped the one for that bank.  took a while to find, but once we did, our leds were back.

JohnRoberts said:
Good design...

I had several customers put those in  my large AMR boards... I'd even borrow them for trade show demos...

JR

they are. it's a shame they were sold off to API and became part of the machine, any service and support is non existent if you say uptown. luckily I have some schematics and so forth. Amazing how you miss one line in the service manual and you spend hours looking for the obvious. We have all been there.
The system is straight forward.  I wish someone would resurrect it or something similar to it. Would be real handy even in current state of affairs.

It seems archaic in these modern days of mixing with mouse or hand swipes...

When I designed my last big console (last century) I left a ton of room down in the fader bay for such additions.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
It seems archaic in these modern days of mixing with mouse or hand swipes...

When I designed my last big console (last century) I left a ton of room down in the fader bay for such additions.

JR

until you see all kinds of people buying controllers just to have a tactile interface...  But I know what you mean.

Hey

What I find archaic is mixing with mouse by looking at a pointer moving something on a screen...
Anachronism... real fader is a way more "modern" tool... and despite the ITB/OTB war or "do I need a real console" endless talk, someone that never mix on a decent console with a decent fader automation can't imagine what he/she miss...

Best
Zam

I don't have those arguments anymore,  what works for one person does not work for another. I don't argue better or anything related to this., That war and discussions are over. I was just trying to fix our automation system which I was eventually able to find the culprit and fix it.  Luckily I found that one sentence in the service manual about each bank of 8 faders having a fuse and off we went.

pucho812 said:
I don't have those arguments anymore,  what works for one person does not work for another. I don't argue better or anything related to this., That war and discussions are over. I was just trying to fix our automation system which I was eventually able to find the culprit and fix it.  Luckily I found that one sentence in the service manual about each bank of 8 faders having a fuse and off we went.
Such arguments are generally settled by how customers spend their money... By last century the market was already moving away from big dog consoles. I expect that trend only continued (after I has my a__ kicked).

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Such arguments are generally settled by how customers spend their money... By last century the market was already moving away from big dog consoles. I expect that trend only continued (after I has my a__ kicked).

JR

this is turning into a brewery discussion.  what's funny is the trend has turned into smaller consoles  around 24-36 inputs. far from the large format(48 channels +) of yesteryear but plenty of 24 channel ones none the less. A company  I worked for as a tech sold  out of the first production  of the then new console, 25 units is not that much but considering it was 25 x 24 channel desks running a price tag of around 40k, I think the numbers were pretty impressive.

Latest posts

Back