It's the Climate, Stupid.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

Is anyone else getting the feeling that the old order is on the way out?

Millions of kids around the world have taken over the initiative and the political priorities.

I feel some sympathy for politicians, they were never scientifically trained  so they have no intrinsic feel for the situation.  A background in economics and law does not prepare you for this new reality.  Trump is in an even worse state with a simple business background, he has absolutely no feel for what is happening around him.

A musician knows what chords go together in each key (D, G, A7, Bm)  An electronics guy knows Ohms law, a tube guy knows mu, gm and rp.  But ask a politician how much time do we have to do something and all they have are economics and procedure.

No wonder the kids are on the street.............. say goodbye to yesterday's men.

DaveP

DaveP said:
I feel some sympathy for politicians, they were never scientifically trained  so they have no intrinsic feel for the situation.
Unfortunately, it's also the case for many environmentalists. Some are really shooting themselves in the foot by advocating solutions that are impractical at best, worse than the problems they're supposed to solve in the worst case.
This girl that takes a sailboat to cross the Atlantic, she will probably fly back home...the skipper will, that's for sure, and the skipper that will take the boat back has flown to New York. Duh!
BTW, one does not need to study to be a pol...why bother?

DaveP said:
that is the natural cycle for politics, while some geezers are holding on...
Millions of kids around the world have taken over the initiative and the political priorities.
Kids have always thought they were smarter than adults/parents.

The school system in NYC is giving students a pass, to cut classes to protest climate change. Duh, yeah tough call, party in the city with other kids or attend classes? This sure looks like some liberal educator's agenda, not kids acting independently or spontaneously.
I feel some sympathy for politicians, they were never scientifically trained  so they have no intrinsic feel for the situation.  A background in economics and law does not prepare you for this new reality. 
and not programmed/brainwashed by the modern education system (while some younger politicians appear to have drunk the kool aid).

I will never defend politician's STEM skills, they don't appear to have any. 
Trump is in an even worse state with a simple business background, he has absolutely no feel for what is happening around him.
His simple business background is far superior to what passes for modern poltician's sense of economics. Just look at the price tab for this primary campaign season's giveaways (Many $Ts). Even Elizabeth Warren was questioned on a friendly talk show and declined to answer how she would pay for it without taxing the middle class (where the money is).

How many politicians have had to make payroll? Managing an office budget does not count.
A musician knows what chords go together in each key (D, G, A7, Bm)  An electronics guy knows Ohms law, a tube guy knows mu, gm and rp.  But ask a politician how much time do we have to do something and all they have are economics and procedure.
Most politicians do not try to solve problems, they try to look like they are solving problems, while postponing accountability into later cycles.
No wonder the kids are on the street.............. say goodbye to yesterday's men.

DaveP
Be careful what you wish for... did you ever read "Lord of the Flies"?

BTW, what's the climate stupid? This generation's political power grab.  ::) The kids are pawns easily manipulated by the global power brokers, ignore the man (men and women) behind the curtain.

JR

DaveP said:

I feel some sympathy for politicians, they were never scientifically trained  so they have no intrinsic feel for the situation.

I sure hope the old order wanes and goes. 
I think you're correct in some (most?) cases that a private education in law or economics - without having held any other real kind of job - is no training for tackling the issues. 
But there are plenty of them that, to me, seem to  willfully ignore evidence or fabricate lame counter arguments.  "Wind turbines cause cancer" might be one such example,  surely no one is that imbecilic  ;)

The problems of this "movement" are, they fight against climate change, but they have not realized how radical the changes, how grave the sacrifices will be that this goal demands. They are unexperienced and likely to be lulled, divided or corrupted by the green niché actors in the old system.

There´s a german saying "Es kommt immer anders, als man denkt", it always comes out different, than you thought (???), and that´s my main hope now regarding climate change :-X

You can sum it up as never a generation in the history of humankind to date has  had so much and done so little.  Those that are not woke burry their faces in the warm glow of a screen. Those that are woke walk around trying to tell people how to live their lives without doing the very things they say we need to be doing. It's rather annoying to have someone preach to me about carbon footprint  when they fly around in a private jet with a larger carbon footprint to preach how we need to reduce carbon footprint.    I am sure my great grandparents thought we were doomed when my grandparents came about and so on until me and after me.  it's evident things have changed,  such is the only constant in the world.

pucho812 said:
You can sum it up as never a generation in the history of humankind to date has  had so much and done so little.

Had so much of what? I know they have a lot of anxiety. And a lot of pressure to perform. Little economic security and certainty.  Many grow up in poverty. Little real autonomy from adults that overprotect them and control them emotionally. Little freedom to do what they want in a world where cameras are everywhere. And precious little room for original thought in a world filled with media and targeted advertising.

I don't envy people growing up today. But I applaud them for having the will to fight for what is right. And make no mistake, they will increasingly be proven right the worse the global climate catastrophe gets. They don't only have science on their side, but also the bitter reality the world will have to deal with more and more every decade.

living sounds said:
Had so much of what? I know they have a lot of anxiety. And a lot of pressure to perform. Little economic security and certainty.  Many grow up in poverty. Little real autonomy from adults that overprotect them and control them emotionally. Little freedom to do what they want in a world where cameras are everywhere. And precious little room for original thought in a world filled with media and targeted advertising.

I don't envy people growing up today. But I applaud them for having the will to fight for what is right. And make no mistake, they will increasingly be proven right the worse the global climate catastrophe gets. They don't only have science on their side, but also the bitter reality the world will have to deal with more and more every decade.

Oh they do have so much, they have it easy for the most part.  They usually  are not forced to work, the usually get an education, they usually do not have to fight off life threatening or crippling  diseases we used to have such as polio, and over all they have it pretty soft compared to your generation, to my generation, or generations prior.
I can't applaud them because not only do I disagree with them, it's like a cult. see how they look and behave most of the time, it's a little unsettling.  But you know I am not the only one to disagree on climate change,  many a good scientist can show you how  there is little to no effect.  While this video will probably not sway you, it is from a scientist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA3OA_2S4QY

pucho812 said:
Oh they do have so much, they have it easy for the most part.  They usually  are not forced to work, the usually get an education, they usually do not have to fight off life threatening or crippling  diseases we used to have such as polio, and over all they have it pretty soft compared to your generation, to my generation, or generations prior.
I can't applaud them because not only do I disagree with them, it's like a cult. see how they look and behave most of the time, it's a little unsettling.  But you know I am not the only one to disagree on climate change,  many a good scientist can show you how  there is little to no effect.  While this video will probably not sway you, it is from a scientist...

A cult? Kids preaching the overwhelming scientific consensus?  ;D LMAO

I look to all the right wing conspiracy theoriests that sprang up in recent decades and even more so since Obama came into office. Proffessing their belief into increasingly absurd stuff to show their devotion. That's what a cult looks like.

As for "they have it easy" - they are also not allowed to make their own mistakes. To get into danger and get out of it sucessfully by themselves. No wonder they are fearfull and some want "safe spaces". Parents wanting to be their friends instead of giving them a clear set of rules and allowing them autonomy within those bounds. And have you heard the music kids have to listen to today? I truly to not envy them.

abbey road d enfer said:
This girl that takes a sailboat to cross the Atlantic, she will probably fly back home...the skipper will, that's for sure, and the skipper that will take the boat back has flown to New York. Duh!
BTW, one does not need to study to be a pol...why bother?

She will absolutely not fly back. She doesn't fly anymore. Quite trying to find hypocrisy where there is none.

DaveP said:
I feel some sympathy for politicians, they were never scientifically trained  so they have no intrinsic feel for the situation.  A background in economics and law does not prepare you for this new reality.  Trump is in an even worse state with a simple business background, he has absolutely no feel for what is happening around him.

DaveP

It's worse than that in the states. It's not just that they're not trained in science, it's that many of them due to religion or something else just simply don't believe facts. It's inane.

The old folks are just hoping the system they're invested in stays stable until they die.

The kids have to take the long view, because they will have to spend almost their whole lives in the world ahead of us.  Just like those sheltered college students who thought the Vietnam war was a mistake. 

Scodiddly said:
The old folks are just hoping the system they're invested in stays stable until they die.

The kids have to take the long view, because they will have to spend almost their whole lives in the world ahead of us.  Just like those sheltered college students who thought the Vietnam war was a mistake.
I thought the viet nam was was a mistake and then I got drafted (1970). The only reason I didn't get sent over as a grunt (like most of my basic training company) was my civilian experience in electronics... so melting solder can save your life.  8)

JR

Ricardus said:
She will absolutely not fly back. She doesn't fly anymore. Quite trying to find hypocrisy where there is none.
I'm not saying she's a hypocrite. I just said that she does things and ignores the consequences*. AFAIK at least three persons flew. And each of her appearance triggers millions of movements on the  internet, which consume energy. At the end of the day, her carbon footprint is certainly much larger than yours or mine.
Celebrity is not without consequences; the butterfly effect.

*Don't we all...?

DaveP said:

DaveP
This points to a deeper issue. Having 535 people running all aspects of a country is ludicrous - when they are all essentially lawyers  or just plain politicians. They have no actual experience or expertise in most of they subjects over which they legislate. What an utter joke.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee...

Mike

When I was in my teens (60's) we started to understand the new concept of Ecology, (how nature interacted) but as teenagers we had no power to alter the course of events.  We also well understood the effects of pollution as we had been exposed to mercury, benzine and asbestos in our chemistry labs (bunson mats) and at home with ironing boards.  Our parents smoked until they found out it caused cancer.  Lead in paint had only recently been abolished.

Regarding resources, the Earth could handle the amount of CO2 produced at that time, but the world's population  has more than doubled since then and that is the heart of the problem.  Who can control the world's population?  Unfortunately we now see that nature will take on that task in our childrens lifetime.

The people who hold power now are largely from a finance background but giving way to tech.  The financiers see climate change as a disturbance and inconvenience to their models, because their understanding of climate science is minimal.  The tech guys have had a much better education in that respect and are better equipped  to tackle the issues.

Politicians always take the path of least resistance (Politics is the art of the possible) because they want to get re-elected but now they see the young giving them a new mandate, so perhaps something will happen now.

DaveP

Back