Advice on charging a band

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is licensing being discussed? If anything this seems simply a work for hire situation.  Bands do not typically need to get a license from the person who records them.  The recording engineer gets their fee,  band does what they please with the recording.

Dreams said:
I wouldn't walk into a supermarket and arrange the shelves and then ask to be paid for the work or tell the manager they couldn't arrange the shelves differently. No one asked you to put in the work up front. I don't think asking for money is the play here, and i know you're not trying to hear that answer, but if anyone pulled that with me it would leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not "pulling" anything. I have a recording. They're aware of that. It sounds good, therefore it has value. If they don't want to pay for it, fine. I'm not MAKING anyone pay for it.

Dude, get a grip.

Gold said:
You screwed up. No one cares about your genius recording except you. They will not bow down to your genius when they hear it. After all you did it for free. How much could it be worth? You'll be lucky to extract any money out of this. Some fool can screw it up after you've been paid too.

Someone needs a nap.

I'm guessing no one likes you.  :)

I didn't piss in your cornflakes, so chill out.

It is a good recording. Ya know what? I've been doing this for 23 years. I've acquired some experience. I have some nice gear.

No one used the word genius except you. But thank you for the compliment and thanks for playing.

DON PARDO... TELL HIM WHAT HE'S WON!!!!

Ricardus said:
It is a good recording. Ya know what? I've been doing this for 23 years. I've acquired some experience. I have some nice gear.

Then what’s the problem? Ask for some money or don’t . If you can convince them it’s the best thing since sliced bread ask for a lot.

If I haven’t been hired for a job I have no expectation of being paid for anything no matter how good it is.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

I think you need a strategy.

(1) Sorry, but please do not reply to any band member in written form n any way close your above posts ;) We all know you won't.
(2) I think you really better go talk to the band leader and do the math in advance.
(3) Tell him WHY you wanted to record the band in the first place . They have fun doing what they do and you saw that and you wanted to capture that (use simple flattery).
(4) Tell him how well the recording reflects that and how great the processed recording has turned out because it really needed some editing bla bla. Don't get too technical though.
(5) Insinuate that they might want more than just ONE copy for ONE spouse (that is, as demo to get more gigs maybe, and if not that than copies for all band members plus their families plus friends plus give-aways for next year's show etc) -- How many copies in total, what do you reckon?

Do the math:
$$$/copy.

However, be prepared that the band leader might reply in somewhat similar terms as the above post that infuriated you so much. In the worst case, the entire band simply let you record the show because they thought that they were doing YOU a favour.

Script said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

(1) Sorry, but please do not reply to any band member in written form n any way close your above posts ;) We all know you won't.
(2) I think you really better go talk to the band leader and do the math in advance.
(3) Tell him WHY you wanted to record the band in the first place . They have fun doing what they do and you saw that and you wanted to capture that (use simple flattery).
(4) Tell him how well the recording reflects that and how great the processed recording has turned out because it really needed some editing bla bla. Don't get too technical though.
(5) Insinuate that they might want more than just ONE copy for ONE spouse (that is, as demo to get more gigs maybe, and if not that than copies for all band members plus their families plus friends plus give-aways for next year's show etc) -- How many copies in total, what do you reckon?

Do the math:
$$$/copy.

However, be prepared that the band leader might reply in somewhat similar terms as the above post that infuriated you so much. In the worst case, the entire band simply let you record the show because they thought that they were doing YOU a favour.

+1

Better you get mad at me instead of loosing your cool with the band. Believe me I know.

Gold said:
Then what’s the problem? Ask for some money or don’t . If you can convince them it’s the best thing since sliced bread ask for a lot.

If I haven’t been hired for a job I have no expectation of being paid for anything no matter how good it is.

Right. What's the problem? Why all the vitriol in your posts?

Please find my post in this thread saying I have an EXPECTATION of getting paid.

Don't worry. I'll wait.

Script said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Do the math:
$$$/copy.

Yes, thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. Good stuff.

Script said:

Who was infuriated? I was just confused by someone being a raging troll when there was no call for it. I would call that out on any forum of any topic, regardless who it was aimed at.

Ricardus said:

Because no good deed goes unpunished. The band could be as blunt.

Please find my post in this thread saying I have an EXPECTATION of getting paid.

The reason this has gotten to page 2 is because you think there is monetary value in the recording. Since no one asked you to do it there is only value if you create it.

Gold said:
Because no good deed goes unpunished.

I don't see any evidence of hostility on the part of the band leader towards our friend....so....I'm assuming you're taking on that responsibility? I also don't see any evidence that he came here looking for a fight...

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Peace.  :)

I know how I would handle it; the way I handle most things...

There is value in connecting with others and the potential of it leading to something very minute or huge on a personal and/or professional level, with any timeframe, and at any point in one’s lifetime. Therefore, I have no problem doing some small first-time-only jobs I enjoy for free. Besides, I’m already doing it for my own enjoyment anyhow, and that alone is value.

desol said:
I don't see any evidence of hostility on the part of the band leader towards our friend....

No hostility necessary. What if the band leader says “Oh I thought it was free. No thanks we don’t need a recording”. I think our friend would be angry. If not I got the situation wrong.

PRR said:
The conversation should be with the Band Leader.

Did you even have permission to record? (I have had two incidents where this became a Big Deal.)

Working with the Leader leads to implicit post-permission. (Or an order to burn it.)

The Leader can pool the band's money, or buy the recording to put on an LP (but mass production not included in the price for "a few copies for the band").

PRR points are all really important, you should start with his points

Ricardus said:

Don't worry. I'll wait.
From my perspective you appear a little too sensitive to constructive criticism.

You are not being attacked, by me either.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
From my perspective you appear a little too sensitive to constructive criticism.

You are not being attacked, by me either.

JR

How do you define constructive?

John voted for trump so...  ;)

desol said:
How do you define constructive?

John voted for trump so...  ;)
Do you have a problem with me?  ;)

It is sad when political enmity corrupts and distorts every thread no matter the topic.
====
IMO constructive criticism is when people with more experience share that experience.

This is about the kindest, gentlest, place around the internets to get (free) advice about lots of stuff...

Try to ignore the noise that is everywhere...

JR

Back