Transformer Mix Buss Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmercer

So I've got this idea for a project, wanted to get some feedback.
Current set up for my mix buss is:
Stems > Apollo Line Outs > Dangerous D Box Summing > Benchmark ADC1 > AES back into Apollo
I want to build a box with three pairs of 600/600 line transformers between the D Box summing output and the Benchmark. Just left and right balanced in on XLRs to a 4P3T Elco switch to three different transformer pairs to (MAYBE) a stereo balanced 600/600 Daven to the outs.
1. What three different pairs of (reasonably priced) transformers would you recommend? Different degrees of vibe/saturation.
2. Do I even need the Daven? D box summing outs has an output knob, Benchmark has input gain...
3. Good idea to put a 600 ohm terminating resistor across hot and cold on the outputs but on a switch?
Thanks!

pmercer said:
So I've got this idea for a project, wanted to get some feedback.
Current set up for my mix buss is:
Stems > Apollo Line Outs > Dangerous D Box Summing > Benchmark ADC1 > AES back into Apollo
I want to build a box with three pairs of 600/600 line transformers between the D Box summing output and the Benchmark. Just left and right balanced in on XLRs to a 4P3T Elco switch to three different transformer pairs to (MAYBE) a stereo balanced 600/600 Daven to the outs.
1. What three different pairs of (reasonably priced) transformers would you recommend? Different degrees of vibe/saturation.
I'm not sure what's for you a reasonable price but I would try these tranies
UTC A20, NPacoustic NP600it, Sowter 1364, Lundahl LL1540 or 1544 ...
2. Do I even need the Daven? D box summing outs has an output knob, Benchmark has input gain...
Not really, except if you would drive transformers very hot to reach the saturation, and then you like to regulate down the input signal into the Benchmark to the reference. And it would look nicely (you should find a big, fancy knob for it :)).
3. Good idea to put a 600 ohm terminating resistor across hot and cold on the outputs but on a switch?
Yes if there is no Daven.

Welcome to GDIY!

Back