1u frontpanel height margin

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi,

For 1u height frontpanels (44,45mm), the real height of front panels is bit lower...but i want to know what is a safe margin..
0.2mm perhaps? (44,25mm)? or a bit less... (43,9mm)?... are there minimum/maximum values? to make fit the device in between others..

Jay x

The US rack panel spacing is/was 1.75", so you clearly can't have panels so tall that they interfere with each other.

You need some slop so they fit, but not so much slop you see obvious gaps between them (there is generally slop in the mounting holes too).

People make pre drilled rack rails that are probably close to on center spacing, purchased pre-made panels will be safely undersize.

Sorry for the long, non answer.

JR

PS: Years ago I had a business partner who though 2" was a good size for a studio efx rack mount faceplate. The customers quickly explained to him why that doesn't work.  ::)

Hi!

Ok,  43,6mm...i see...most rack cases come with this height. a few with 44mm.

To John: Always interesting!!.  1U rack equiment with 1,5U  height faceplate would help  avoid users stack rack equipment...i think ;D

Jay x

JAY X said:
Hi!

Ok,  43,6mm...i see...most rack cases come with this height. a few with 44mm.

To John: Always interesting!!.  1U rack equiment with 1,5U  height faceplate would help  avoid users stack rack equipment...i think ;D

Jay x
You can put 2x 1.5U units in standard racks, taking up 3U...

JR

Back