1176 VU Meter crashes after calibration

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphakid

hi, there,

i finished my first 1176 on pcb`s from mnats and a sifam al29wf.

after wiring the clone runs perfectly, but when i calibrate my unit(point 4 of the procedure), the vu meter crashes.

im checking the other functions, it works fine.

the 1176 have sound on the i/o puts. compression is also fine. but i have no signal shown on the meter.....

:cry:

anyone here, who has maybe the same problem??

jens

check your wiring. Check your wiring again. Do the calibration several times. If it don´t work check your wiring again.
If you don´t find a mistake drop me a pm, Maybe I live close to you and we can fix it anyhow.
:guinness:
Jens

It is'nt broken right?
Does it still works in VU mode?

I had diffeculties myself adjusting the tracking from my meter.
You just have to repeat points 3 and point 4 till it works.
You'll see that after your meter has crashed it can be brought back with the "meter zero" trimmer.....Than try again to get the tracking right and so on.
I don't know weither the sifam al29wf meter is accurate, when properly adjusted, or not.
I had a PPM meter (with a bridge rectefier to make it act like a VU) and I did not get the tracking adjusted very well.

Like I said, do the calibrations several times to bring the needle to zero in GR mode. My VUs move around 0 +-1dB as they like (maybe heat?). So this circuitry seems to be a little funny to me.
Anyway, does your meter move when you change from Bypass to GR mode?
Jens

Anyway, does your meter move when you change from Bypass to GR mode?

no, the meter didnt move if i switch to other modes.

on finishing my unit, i move the qbias pot and the needle moves to the position i want.

but now, there is no meter moving, if i turn the pots in any direction.

jens

We phoned and it turned out that CR11 was shot. It happened probably when one of the VU meter-cables felt off (bad solderjoint) and caused a short to ground.
we´ll see tomorrow if that was the fault.
Jens

Back