Steped attenuator in fader form !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamproject

Hi all

In the past years I use various TKD fader ref and I check the web site time to time...

It seem they work on a 50 steps attenuator in sliding fader form (100mm)
Actual "in development" datasheet say 1dB from 0 to 40 (within 80mm) then 2dB steps then 5dB steps

This might interest some around  ;)

Best
Zam

JohnRoberts said:
IIRC Alps made one like that decades ago... Don't know if they still do. This was well before SMD became popular.

JR

Hi JR

For what I suspect (speculation) it's not an SMD switching, but more a printed CP track in a non ladder configuration that will probably act as a MBB switch (in a linear way)

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Hi JR

For what I suspect (speculation) it's not an SMD switching, but more a printed CP track in a non ladder configuration that will probably act as a MBB switch (in a linear way)

Best
Zam
I have thrown away all my old alps data manuals but as I recall it used what looked like a bunch of SMD resistors configured in an arc...  At this point it does not matter so I'll shut up now...

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I have thrown away all my old alps data manuals but as I recall it used what looked like a bunch of SMD resistors configured in an arc...  At this point it does not matter so I'll shut up now...

JR

I was talking about TKD, can't say for old ALPS
Best
Zam

Has anyone ever used the TKD rotary switches? Either the RR16G series or the RR30G series. I don't think I've ever heard anyone around here mention them. Anyone know how the prices compare to the other usual suspects like Elma and Grayhill?

The only TKD products I'm familiar with are the 2500 series pots. They are spectacular and not super crazy expensive. I wouldn't surprised if the switches were very nice and less expensive than Elma.

I also noticed that they sell a 0.01% through hole resistor. I don't think I've ever run across one of those. 0.1% is the best I've seen in a through hole.

Gold said:
Has anyone ever used the TKD rotary switches? Either the RR16G series or the RR30G series. I don't think I've ever heard anyone around here mention them. Anyone know how the prices compare to the other usual suspects like Elma and Grayhill?

The only TKD products I'm familiar with are the 2500 series pots. They are spectacular and not super crazy expensive. I wouldn't surprised if the switches were very nice and less expensive than Elma.

I also noticed that they sell a 0.01% through hole resistor. I don't think I've ever run across one of those. 0.1% is the best I've seen in a through hole.

I'm only used to fader from TKD, top quality... if you say the 2500 series pot is great too, there is chance switches go the same way.
BUT their price got a consequent step up this year...

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
I'm only used to fader from TKD, top quality... if you say the 2500 series pot is great too, there is chance switches go the same way.
BUT their price got a consequent step up this year...

I sent the distributor for the US an email asking for a rough price estimate. We'll see.

I got three 4 channel 2500's recently. They were $145 each which is a bargain compared to the now discontinued P&G RF15. It beats the pants of the RF15 too. I have two 6 channel RF15's. They look and feel great. Unfortunately they have significant and widely varying series resistance at the fully clockwise position. That was a deal killer as they had to work passively with a bridged T attenuator. The P&G channel matching was decent but the TKD is spectacular. No more than 0.2dB level difference between channels anywhere in the throw.

Gold said:
The P&G channel matching was decent but the TKD is spectacular. No more than 0.2dB level difference between channels anywhere in the throw.

I observe the same with fader, very well matched, way better than the initial datasheet spec.

I suppose CP print is a well known technologies for specialized  manufacturer, TKD seem to perfectly handle this
They also have a new product line since about two year with carbon print (no conductive plastic) never test them but look like and good "mid range" product.

Best
Zam

Latest posts

Back