OEP A262A3E with an open winding

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtZHP

I'm a bit flummoxed here.  I've got an OEP A262A3E transformer, and it appears that both secondary windings are open.  I measure no continuity whatsoever on either winding.  Primary windings are fine.

This thing was in a circuit where the secondaries were connected in series.

What could have caused this?

Excessive heat from soldering?
Age??

I checked the rest of the circuit for possible power supply rail shorts to those windings but found none.

Removed it from the circuit and measured it all by itself, and the secondaries are definitely open.

Well, here's the thing.  I can't say for sure now.

It was in a known working preamp, but that preamp hadn't been used for some time.  I removed it from that device so I could "borrow" it for another one I was working on.  When that one wouldn't pass a signal at all, I began tracing things and discovered the open secondaries.

This is why I suspected soldering heat damage.  But, what are the chances that such a thing could result in BOTH secondaries taking a hit?

As mentioned earlier, I checked for power shorts and found none, and even if that had happened, there were other components that would have had to suffer damage and didn't.

I'm trying to think of all the ways a transformer can end up with an open winding, and eliminate each possibility as the culprit.

this is God's way of getting you to buy a Lundahl,  :D

or it could be that the coil wire has slipped out of the terminal eye, obviously you can not use tele-kenisis to fix it, some effort has to be put forth,  ie: desoldering the can or whatever it is potted in,

CJ said:
this is God's way of getting you to buy a Lundahl,  :D

You have no idea how ironic that statement is.

This particular transformer was originally installed in my Gyraf G9.  My plan, if this new project worked, was to take both OEP  input transformers out of the G9 and upgrade the G9 to Lundahls.

So, maybe God's telling me to put Lundahls in both preamps!  Or He's telling me to be more careful with what I have.....

;D

Back