Toolbox fallacy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great video, so true.

I've met so many people with massive talent who never get anything done. And, ironically, also people with hardly any talent who are really good at getting things done...

So many comments to make, only some of them snide, like the Facebook report option thing "* I'm in this picture and I don't like it."

There's the book "Art and Fear" that has the famous ceramics passage that's been quoted a lot:
https://excellentjourney.net/2015/03/04/art-fear-the-ceramics-class-and-quantity-before-quality/

Oh, and then there's ... see attachment.

Attachments

• practice.jpg
    practice.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 12
I have times in my life where I reevaulate whether I can continue to describe myself a certain way. Like I wanted to be a novelist after my first degree. Music was "easier." I sort of still get away with calling myself a writer because I at least write something.

If anyone needs a jumpstart to get past the blank musical page syndrome, join February Album Writing Month next year.

We don't bite (much) and I promise it's one of the best experiences you can have as a songwriter.

A good sentiment,  but would say this is only partially true.  With quality tools you can do better work in a shorter period of time.  I don't know too many professionals who make a living without a professional level (usually expensive) toolbox.

benb said:
So many comments to make, only some of them snide, like the Facebook report option thing "* I'm in this picture and I don't like it."

There's the book "Art and Fear" that has the famous ceramics passage that's been quoted a lot:
https://excellentjourney.net/2015/03/04/art-fear-the-ceramics-class-and-quantity-before-quality/

Oh, and then there's ... see attachment.

But it's not only practise. Without talent no amount of practise will do much good. There has been a recent study that showed, that the top musicians actually practised less than the second tier. It's also much more important how you practise.

john12ax7 said:
A good sentiment,  but would say this is only partially true.  With quality tools you can do better work in a shorter period of time.  I don't know too many professionals who make a living without a professional level (usually expensive) toolbox.

I agree. I spent a lot of time developing my studio because I wanted to get the sound in my music that I had in my head. It's easy to get lost on that track, too, though. As many here surely now.  ;D

john12ax7 said:

The thing I can do best is drawing and painting. I´d say it´s both talent and the 10.000 hours put in.
Maybe my "talent" is to be motivated to try again and again. Maybe you have heard the saying it´s
10% inspiration and 90% transpiration ;D
Good thing is I just need a pencil and a paper to draw a portrait and have people in awe, a good
feeling!

Also I always had the sentiment what I have mastered through work is mine forever, what
just flew by me could fly away again any moment (true? Idk).

Being social worker now for 25 years I feel I can´t take the human tragicomedy much longer so I guess I have to face a career-directional change soon...

Very interesting. Reminds me of a band/artist i’ve Worked with over the years who were so crazed with perfection in the studio and the business side that lost focus of what it means to be a musician. You perform for audiences, learn new songs, but if you don’t really dig it leave it to the people who do. Of course ther’s Exceptions but no one’s gonna hear your 20 guitar doubled tracks if you don’t get out there and do.

Latest posts

Back