US Support for the Kurds

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regarding US support for the Kurds, the US should ...

• provide military support and demand safety and independence for the Kurds

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • withdraw military support but resume previous support for Kurds (such as no-fly zone)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • stop supporting Kurds entirely (knowing they will be attacked by Turkey / Syria)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Bo Deadly

The Kurds have helped the US with the Iraq wars and in Syria against ISIS. As a result, they have gained considerable territory around Iraq, Syria and Turkey.

withdraw military support but resume previous support for Kurds (such as no-fly zone)
How do you think no-fly zones work, exactly?  ::)

To be clear, I'm for position 3 if we modify "Kurds" to "YPG" or "Kurdish factions in Syria who have ties to PKK". Not all Kurdish factions in Syria meet this description. Some are pro-Assad.

US direct support with training and materiel to YPG and SDF in Syria is not a decades old policy and goes back to 2017. YPG was originally not part of the free Syrian army, and in 2015 when US intervention began in earnest American weapons were not for YPG elements.

squarewave said:
The Kurds have helped the US with the Iraq wars and in Syria against ISIS. As a result, they have gained considerable territory around Iraq, Syria and Turkey.
Syrian Kurdish groups in YPG / PKK / SDF aren't the same as Iraqi Kurdish groups.

but, just so we're clear now - you're against military intervention to support the existing ethno-state Israel, but for military intervention to support the would-be ethno-state Kurdistan?  Or what?

Poll?? The only reason this is in the news is to promote the political agenda of sliming President Trump.

The original no fly zone, was to protect Kurdish Iraq from Saddam's attacks (including poison gas), back when there still was a Saddam. A no fly zone over Syria now might get complicated since Putin moved Russian military aircraft into the region (or 4 way including Syrian aircraft).

Any no fly actions could be a dangerous multi-way coordination between several military forces in the region, especially as Erdogan gets cozy with Putin to imbalance US influence in the region. Putin would love nothing more than to weaken NATO alliances (Turkey is still a NATO member in name at least).

The Kurds have desired autonomy since WWI and are treated as lesser citizens of several nations in the region. This is unlikely to change anytime soon. 

You need a "none of the above" selection for your poll because none of the answers presented appear productive in light of the current situation.

JR

Anyone who votes for: "provide military support and demand safety and independence for the Kurds" is a warmonger. This is asking for a war.

The way I see it 2-3 people are making a lot more noise than everyone else. So a poll seems like a good idea to me. But apparently nobody cares because there are only 2 votes!  :'(

squarewave said:
The way I see it 2-3 people are making a lot more noise than everyone else. So a poll seems like a good idea to me. But apparently nobody cares because there are only 2 votes!  :'(
Perhaps most people have not been paying close attention to the middle east (or the world) for decades.  ::)

It looks like Erdogan is ignoring the US sanctions threat, but Russia in a classic you broke it, you own it (Powell pottery barn cliche), so is supporting the Syria military there. 

Kind of ironic in light of the Afghanistan experience, but Russia really wants use of a Mediterranean sea port in Syria so will support Assad (tag you are it).  ::)

JR

leadbreath said:
Hows about a fourth option, the good old "Yankee go home" ? :p
Be careful what you wish for...

Isn't that exactly what has everybody's knickers in a wad, because President Trump is keeping another campaign promise by withdrawing US troops?

JR

leadbreath said:
?
You huys shouldnt be there in the first place?! Who invited the US into Syria/ Iraq/ Afganistan/ Somalia/  Lebanon/ Vietnam etc. Spreading freedom? !
Seriously I do not have the time or interest to John-splain this all to you.

I was personally opposed to Viet Nam because I was drafted during it. After several decades of hindsight I am more angry about it being prosecuted so half as__ed. 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Perhaps most people have not been paying close attention to the middle east (or the world) for decades.  ::)

It looks like Erdogan is ignoring the US sanctions threat...

Perhaps people forget Erdogan could hold dozens of US nuclear arms stored in Turkey hostage. Just like he's threatening to unleash millions of refugees on Europe.

That superiority act is getting quite comical if you look like a stooge to the rest of the world...

Erdogan holding nukes hostage is a joke. Just because Drudge links a headline doesn’t make it real.

I think Erdogan more or less told President Trump - we’re going. Trump said, I’m out, this is someone else’s problem.

May be shrewd, may be shortsighted. But now Turkey and Syria are squaring off, one actual Russian satellite and one US but flirting with Russia.

The ME holds far less strategic interest for the US now. I am fine with letting someone else take their turn spilling blood to pay for the mistakes of colonial Europeans after WWI or opposing Russia.

You huys shouldnt be there in the first place

If the US didn't assert their version of manifest destiny over the years, who can say things would have turned out better for those small, unstable countries rich in resources?  Expansionist thinking and military might tend to be proportional.

If the US didn't assert their version of manifest destiny over the years, who can say things would have turned out better for those small, unstable countries rich in resources?  Expansionist thinking and military might tend to be proportional.

Oh of course, small unstable countries (with or without natural resources)are unable to control their manifest destinies without glorious US intervention?! What was I thinking!!? ::)

Latest posts

Back