Powering 8 channels of Green pre.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Wow, I've been searching for a while and havn't seen the definitive answer. Is there a power supply designed around here that will power 8 channels of Green Pre's? I saw the "cheap torroid" thread. That looks nice. I don't really know the in's and outs of whether I can just throw a bigger torroid on the power supply that Peter has (He says it's good for four channels). If anyone can point me to a good design that would be great. The PS requires +-15V and +48V. I don't actually know what amps would be pulled on these new boards?

Thanks agailn.
Joel

An LM317/337 pair will theoretically power 8 Green pre's. They are rated at 1500mA each, & the Green will draw 50mA per rail, 400mA for 8 channels.

They will need some nice big heatsinks. 4 channels makes the un-heatsunk 317/337 pair run warm to the touch. Not hot enough to cause discomfort, but warm enough to notice.

Regards
Peter

So if we're only talking about 400mA here, can I use the Power Supply that Kev has for his two channel? The Dagnal PS is rated at 6A. The 7815/7915's say they're rated at over 1A. What am I missing here? It'd be great to use that as I've already got one built up and ready to go.

Ah I see that I would need a bigger transformer as the secondaries are only rated at .20mA.

Joel

Thanks peter. The cheap toroid should work well. I'll throw heatsinks on the 7*15's .

Thanks again.
Joel

Latest posts

Back