Adam P33A Rattling

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountCyanide

GDIY Supporter
Hey all -
I’ve had these monitors for many years and one of them have developed a rattle during low notes and kicks. Since I have backup drivers, I replaced them - to no avail. So I popped open the back and found that the glue between the mdf has cracks throughout. Should I fill the cracks with wood glue? I’d rather not go anytime further and disassemble the cabinet. Any recommendations on glue type or technique would be welcomed.

Attachments

• 1FA86A0F-FED6-4A8F-B0BF-B2731A9EB5B7.jpeg
    1FA86A0F-FED6-4A8F-B0BF-B2731A9EB5B7.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 9
Assuming that’s the root of your problem, use Titebond 3. Titebond is the standard for furniture, wooden boxes, etc. The wood (or in this case the mdf) will break before the glue joint will under any type of stress (except violent shear, and even then. the wood breaks before the glue separates much of the time). Titebond 3 is the waterproof version. Perfect for taking cabs on the road.

Separate the joint as much as possible without tearing it apart and inject the glue into the cracks. Then be sure and clamp the 2 pieces you’re joining for half an hour or more using long shop clamps if you have some. if not, turn the speaker so that you can add weight on top to push the joints together.

you won’t actually have the titebond adhering to the mdf, which would be the ideal situation. It’ll be bonding to the crappy glue that separated in the first place. So even a quality glue like titebond may not be a long term solution in your case. In an ideal world, you’d pull the joints apart, scrape the old glue off and reglue. But it’ll work for normal use for a while if you don’t want to go through that trouble.

Awesome, titebond it is then. Maybe I’ll just heed your real advice here and go full on. Remove the old crack and start anew. Fortunately my new studio has an amazing makerspace downstairs with a full wood shop.  Thank you!

That’d be the way to go for the long term. Cool that you’ve got a makerspace with all the gear. They should have the long cabinetmaker clamps you’ll need.

I’d recommend using a heat gun on low setting or a hair dryer to loosen the glue joints so you don’t end up doing unintended damage. Made that mistake once.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back