Radial DI Eclipse Transformer Rescue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc

Hi all

I am fixing a Radial DI (Pro D2) and 4 of the transformer pins have been detached from the transformer, from years of bad handling I guess.

I have removed the one unit, and all the pins came off the transformer when desoldering. I used as little heat and force as possible...... Is it possible to cut open the can and reattach the pins?

Is it worth it? Both the transformers have suffered the same fate, but I have left one on the PCB until I can learn more about this.

Thx Peter

I doubt you can open the can without damage. I just sent in a tank driver to Radial out of warrant service. They took care of me. You can shoot them an e-mail to buy a new one,  and they will probably mail you a new transformer. Are you can just buy off the shelf Jensen and upgrade it.

Thanks Bobby

Thanks for the input.

I could also put in a Cinemag as the pinout is the same as Jensen's, but with our disastrous exchange rate, these units are very expensive, I will try and cut open the can over the weekend, will let you guys know what happens!

peterc said:
Is it worth it? Both the transformers have suffered the same fate, but I have left one on the PCB until I can learn more about this.

Hi Pete,
I would open the bottom cover to check it out and go from there.

If you have enough wiring left inside, you can carefully try to resolder the pins or just solder wire extensions from there ans then find another way (a better way) of attaching the tx to the PCB. Maybe some holes, zipties and hot glue

Latest posts

Back