Fender Deluxe Vintage Modified Power XFMR

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
this guys powers a newer Fender amp that has been making strange noises ,

we have rewound the output in order to try and solve the problem but it is back.

happens about every two weeks a pulsating ray gun type sound which we have never witnessed before,

so we are going to hack the power transformer and rewind it in another attempt to quiet the beast.

this is probably wound offshore by the looks of the lead breakout  got some 340 AC right next to each other (red wires)

Attachments

• f1.JPG
    f1.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 20
that splice on the bottom left (blk lead) leads to a thermal cutoff  fuse located between the first and second section,    could it be causing the noise? we are going to leave it out of thr rewind job just in case. most transformers do not have these anyway so if we do a good job winding then we can leave it out.

Attachments

• f2.JPG
    f2.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 14
here is the print

running the core kind of high typical Gauss for a pwr xfmr is around 12 KG this guy runs at 15+,

Attachments

• Fender Deluxe VM pwr xfmr.png
    Fender Deluxe VM pwr xfmr.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 38
I have an amp that used screech like a bird of prey coming in or out of standby ,
I havent powered it in years now , would need a good service first at this stage .

pic below ,  large Partridge transformers inside ,I think  built in the same factory as Hiwatt , thing easily blew away a 50 watt Marshall for volume , when cranked full on sounded like early 70's Black Sabbath . 

Attachments

• Impact head.jpeg
    Impact head.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 19
Back