Western Electric 2520

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjrippe

GDIY Supporter
Sorry, it's not an opamp.  But I do kinda want it!

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/atq/d/new-york-western-electric-2520-type/7010098198.html

Added photo for when the listing disappears.

Attachments

• WE2520.jpg
    WE2520.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 4
I wonder why it has a touchtone keypad instead of a rotary dial.....the keypads contained transistors, etc. which could be wiped out by an EMP. 

LOL...maybe the keypad used vacuum tubes, like what Russian airplanes once (still??) use to avoid EMP failures!

Bri

Speaking of rotary dial phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHNEzndgiFI

I need to get an old WECO "500" phone to keep around here to see if some of the younger folks I encounter know how to operate it!

> Speaking of rotary dial phones:

They say Harry Truman was in that spot. When he went to the White House, most calls were still  through an operator. In the White House, someone placed his calls for him. When he retired, he didn't know how to dial the newfangled direct-dial phone, someone (a gardener?) had to show him.

Legend has it the older generations of Mig fighters used  6c45pi tubes in the radar reciever front end , I think they were able to transmit pulses of many kilowatts and maybe even clear a runway of nusciance birdlife ,  6c45pi is a bit of a beast , triode happy passing almost 50ma , high gain (in valve terms) 50, and sub 1 kohm output impedence , and of course ruggedised to handle air miles.  Im not sure if valves are still used in the modern planes today , it may well have been superseeded at some point with a transistor based system ,for a better service interval .

The phone looks straight out of Dr Strangelove ,  no fighting in the war room  ;D

Latest posts

Back