XLR(m) to XLR(f) Bleeder Resistor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this definitely not a problem? I've seen guitar tube amp output transformers do some strange things when the secondary is not grounded.

It would seem prudent to make sure than any connection the user sees can never develop any high voltage.

john12ax7 said:
Is this definitely not a problem? I've seen guitar tube amp output transformers do some strange things when the secondary is not grounded.

It would seem prudent to make sure than any connection the user sees can never develop any high voltage.
That's a totally different subject. Tube amps can oscillate when not loaded, but we're talking about low-level  equipment, where this type of malpractice would result in a level that would not be dangerous for any kind of decently designed SS stuff.
And anyway, a pair of 100k resistors would not do anything about it.

It isn't normal nor professional that the floating output has inherent static charge, in the first place.
Second, obviously THAT has problems with a batch  of input receivers 1246, which are rated to withstand of 1kV charge at the input.

"Because the 1240-series devices are input
stages, their input pins are of necessity connected to
the outside world. This is likely to expose the parts
to ESD when cables are connected and disconnected.
Our testing indicates that the 1240-series devices will
typically withstand application of up to 1,000 volts
under the human body ESD model."

So IMHO blaming only Dangerous company isn't correct and sounds to me as an usual GS BS.

P.S.
I serviced recently a well known almost new console where about 50  BJTs in CCSs for LED VU meters was faulty or erratically working depending on the temperature. So I believe that the QC on parts level (and there are a lot of fakes on the market) is a much bigger problem right now.

moamps said:
Second, obviously THAT has problems with a batch  of input receivers 1246, which are rated to withstand of 1kV charge at the input.

"Because the 1240-series devices are input
stages, their input pins are of necessity connected to
the outside world. This is likely to expose the parts
to ESD when cables are connected and disconnected.
Our testing indicates that the 1240-series devices will
typically withstand application of up to 1,000 volts
under the human body ESD model."
For me it's not a sign that they have a problem, it just shows they have taken care of ESD, as any decent manufacturer should.
THAT simply acknowledge the fact that ANY input can be subject to hazardous voltages, and that they have taken the necessary steps to make sure their parts are capable of withstanding voltages that are higher than what is a typical in normal life.

The quotation from GearSlutz is not a proof either that there is a problem with Dangerous Music products; more probably the vagaries of an ill-informed idiot.

pucho812 said:
o.k. I got it....

that d-box you link is a DMX terminator and under DMX terminators.
It's for DMX applications.
Why someone has associated this product with tubes is beyond me. I've never seen a vacuum tube DMX driver.  Using vacuum tubes there is nonsense. And I seriously doubt its usefulness in a DMX connection.

abbey road d enfer said:
Why someone has associated this product with tubes is beyond me. I've never seen a vacuum tube DMX driver.  Using vacuum tubes there is nonsense. And I seriously doubt its usefulness in a DMX connection.

maybe there is a typo on the website or someone was listening to the marketing department vs engineering department?

The chief designer for Dangerous is not a rube. He has decades of experience as a studio tech as well as a designer. Sounds like there is some confusion somewhere.

Why not take the actual tube device and a voltmeter and see what DC or AC voltage appears between pin 2 and pin 1 and also pin 3 and pin 1. I doubt you'll see some random kilovolt of death, but regardless of theory and what's supposed to happen, you can actually measure what is actually happening right now with that specific piece of equipment.

Why assume anything when you can get a $5 meter and measure whether there's "death" emanating from an output jack? Once you see nothing there, then you can just connect the device with a simple cable and be happy.

Back