T. Bone Ribbon Mic/Other Cheap Ribbons

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmorris74

GDIY Supporter
I recently picked up a T. Bone RB100 off Thomann to mess around with.  The mic is advertised as using 2.5 micron foil for the ribbon.  I know in the past the cheap mics would advertise one thickness but put something really thick in instead (probably to reduce the chance of the ribbon breaking).  Does anyone know if this is still the case, or are the Asian factories actually putting the advertised foil in the mics now?

Thanks,
Craig

Specs...

Some people take these as real data. Some just as an indication of what might be in the box.

How would we know?

There's a number of manufacturers in Asia. And they make whatever the buyer wants. Even if what the buyer wants is impossible.  8)

craigmorris74 said:
I recently picked up a T. Bone RB100 off Thomann to mess around with.  The mic is advertised as using 2.5 micron foil for the ribbon.  I know in the past the cheap mics would advertise one thickness but put something really thick in instead (probably to reduce the chance of the ribbon breaking).  Does anyone know if this is still the case, or are the Asian factories actually putting the advertised foil in the mics now?

Thanks,
Craig
There's a lot of variations between samples of the same SKU: I suspect they may use alternate suppliers so you don't know what you'll get.
My Thomann ribbon mic, although spec'd at 200 ohms, was actually 2500, which made it unusable in most circumstances. I know for certain that other members have the same mic with the correct impedance.
Ribbon thickness is a trivial issue in comparison.

abbey road d enfer said:
There's a lot of variations between samples of the same SKU: I suspect they may use alternate suppliers so you don't know what you'll get.
My Thomann ribbon mic, although spec'd at 200 ohms, was actually 2500, which made it unusable in most circumstances. I know for certain that other members have the same mic with the correct impedance.
Ribbon thickness is a trivial issue in comparison.
I see.  I emailed Thomann just for fun to see what they said. 

I'm going to replace the transformer with a nice toroidal model, so output impedance shouldn't be a problem.

As suspected, here's the reply from Thomann:

"thank you for your e-mail. As we have no possibility to verify this specification we have to rely on the this number. Usually our vendor provides us with honest data and products that match the specs.​"

Latest posts

Back