Screw size for Neumann K67?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinrob86

I picked up a K67 capsule, but am unsure as to what mounting screws I should use.  Not wanting to "try it" with such an expensive capsule!

It's going in a clone, so I don't have the original neumann mounts, etc.

Sennheiser list the Neumann K67 mounting screws as being 'M1.7' ??

See here:

https://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/neumann/u87ai/sennheiser-neumann-u87ai-screw-060036.html

and here:

https://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/neumann/u87ai/sennheiser-u87ai-screw-m17x5-060023.html

Maybe those are for attaching the capsule mount to the head assembly.

522867d1452087563-neumann-u87ai-disassembly-diy-img_0377.jpg

Either way, if M1.6 or M1.7 don't finger tighten, don't hit them with a screwdriver. Also, when is Tim ever wrong?

Hahaha, I'm wrong plenty. That's why this forum is such a great resource. All the K67's I have here mount with M1.4.
Try buying an M1.7 screw, I'm not sure they exist except by special order.  Standard sizes are M1.1, M1.2, M1.4, M1.6 M1.8

Tim Campbell said:
...Try buying an M1.7 screw, I'm not sure they exist except by special order... 

That's what I would have thought .... those Sennheiser listings seem a bit odd ... typos perhaps?

rogs said:
That's what I would have thought .... those Sennheiser listings seem a bit odd ... typos perhaps?
I wouldn't be surprised if they are M1.7. It would make sense to use a "proprietary" screw in such a high end mic.

Those longer M1.7 screws are for mounting the head assembly to the Body. You can See it in this esplosion shot
https://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/popup/image/292

But according to that, the capsule mounting screws are also M1.7...

Tim Campbell said:
well they will still be too large for screwing the capsule to it's mount  :)

True, 2pcs M1.7 screws included for the delrin isolator, if you want to mount with those copper screws then you need spacers, or cut the screw back to 4mm(or buy M1.7 x4mm screws separately.)

Attachments

• k870.jpg
    k870.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 28
Well here is a pic of one of my vintage K67 backplates showing M1.4mm screws into the backplate. It would be impossible to screw M1.7mm screws into these holes.
75285813_10218852440796028_6993736358950862848_o.jpg

Perhaps Sennheiser changed Neumann's standard. Then you would need to check when your capsule was made.

This one came with the plastic part on top and those two screws.  The bottom holes use the same threading and the screws went in easily by finger twisting. 

A normal chinese mounting screw (I have some of these around from project bodies) is a bit loose.

I think I'm going to leave the top plastic part off and use the screws to mount it on the bottom, and order more screws to then attach the plastic part on top later.

This is the capsule:
hXNXxdN.jpg

It better not be a reskin!!  Should I be concerned?

The ad listing said “Includes: capsule and protective case

This capsule is in perfect functioning condition and good cosmetic condition. The capsule will need a thorough cleaning at some point.

This is an authentic Neumann K67 capsule from a Neumann u87 Ai. It is dual sided and supports cardioid, figure 8, and Omni polar patterns.

Get this capsule for a steal!

All items are shipped with the most care to ensure the protection of your investment.”

Well those actually look like M1.7 screws in that the heads are certainly larger than the M1.4 screws holding the halves together and at the center termination. Perhaps the backplates I have are just really old, which they are :)

rockinrob86 said:
It better not be a reskin!!  Should I be concerned?

The ad listing said “Includes: capsule and protective case

This capsule is in perfect functioning condition and good cosmetic condition. The capsule will need a thorough cleaning at some point.

This is an authentic Neumann K67 capsule from a Neumann u87 Ai. It is dual sided and supports cardioid, figure 8, and Omni polar patterns.

Get this capsule for a steal!

All items are shipped with the most care to ensure the protection of your investment.”

I only assumed it's a reskin because of the clear insulation on the capsule leads. Most U87ai capsule photos I can find on the web have yellow leads.

Possible there was an era of clear lead insulation. If they were trying to mislead you, you'd think they'd use yellow leads. The current ad (K67 from U87ai) also has clear insulation on the leads.

Latest posts

Back