by far the most disgusting thing I read about the homeless here in California...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without doubt, this is an unthinkably traumatic episode to be a victim of. 

Serious question: What is the answer to problems such as this? 
California, like other places, has people living on her streets who are unwell.  And even as a layman, it seems clear to me that this homeless person is in need of help. 
Under the current system though, they will most likely end up within the criminal justice system and be housed in the County Jail with the thousands of other mentally ill people already in there.  This is not a place anyone goes into and gets well.

pucho812 said:
Thanks for the warning I am already aware of the situation, don't need to be shocked.

Sadly the opposing forces of government choose to call this something other than it is (Drug addiction/mental health/etc). It is not a housing crisis.  ::)  How many of the millions of illegal migrants are living on the street (rhetorical...none)?

Gov Newsome does not seem very aware, for a SF resident.

JR

Winston O'Boogie said:
Without doubt, this is an unthinkably traumatic episode to be a victim of. 

Serious question: What is the answer to problems such as this? 
California, like other places, has people living on her streets who are unwell.  And even as a layman, it seems clear to me that this homeless person is in need of help. 
Under the current system though, they will most likely end up within the criminal justice system and be housed in the County Jail with the thousands of other mentally ill people already in there.  This is not a place anyone goes into and gets well.

the person who committed  the deed was put away for 2 months on a battery charge and transferred to psychiatric where he was diagnosed as having "schizophrenia and psychotic disorders" . after 2 months was released back on the street without any real treatment. 

pucho812 said:
the person who committed  the deed was put away for 2 months on a battery charge and transferred to psychiatric where he was diagnosed as having "schizophrenia and psychotic disorders" . after 2 months was released back on the street without any real treatment.
Without supervised mental health care, individuals often refuse to take prescribed control medications that have side effects from controlling the extreme mood swings that makes them feel "foggy".  Its not even the cost of the medicine but lack of a structured environment to get them to follow the full course of medication.

JR

pucho812 said:

OK, well that's about what I would have expected.  Unfortunately, the caseworkers involved  (parole, mental health worker) will be taxed to the full and overworked.  It'll be an anomaly if he doesn't end up being back in and out of the judicial system without proper intervention and treatment.

It is possible to lead a normal life with this condition.  I have a friend who suffers from mild schizophrenia.  He is lucky in that he is able to get treatment and, with that, he's actually a very highly functioning individual.

Sad all round for everyone in cases like this.

In order for any treatment to work, you have to follow instructions and want the help.
If he is proscribed meds, he needs to take them otherwise there will be a repeat. unfortunately the meds can sometimes do worse then the problem they were trying to solve in the first place.  It is sad all around.  We can all agree, we also can all agree something must be done but it looks like the state, the county, the city is not doing anything.  It might just be too much to handle but it seems to me they prefer to turn a blind eye to it.

There’s no cure for schizophrenia and all schizophrenia meds have horrible, horrible side effects. They will eventually kill you. Even compliant patients cycle on and off the meds when literally the side effects of the treatment become worse than the burden of the illness itself.  :(

Pucho, to come clean, I speak through some experience with this stuff.  I've been homeless myself on the streets of Los Angeles.

dogears said:
There’s no cure for schizophrenia and all schizophrenia meds have horrible, horrible side effects. They will eventually kill you. Even compliant patients cycle on and off the meds when literally the side effects of the treatment become worse than the burden of the illness itself.  :(

No, there is no cure.  But with the right meds, and providing he takes them, my friend is stabilised.  So far so good. 

> the caseworkers involved  (parole, mental health worker) will be taxed to the full and overworked.

The largest mental-health counseling operation in Maine just announced they will stop operations. They don't get enough reimbursement for the limited services they give.

The largest Mental Health "Treatment" here is the Prisons. They don't want the job but that's where the more reckless troubled-folk eventually end up, for lack of any other good place to keep them out of further trouble.

The nurses at one hospital started a job-action after several assaults in one month.

When I went to the ER for my back-pinch, and they limbered me up, they would not let me in the hall because there was an "agitated" person in another room. I did walk by on my way out and realized there was a police officer with her, so I assume she was acting-out violently.

PRR said:
The largest Mental Health "Treatment" here is the Prisons. They don't want the job but that's where the more reckless troubled-folk eventually end up, for lack of any other good place to keep them out of further trouble.

We de-institutionalised the more troubled sufferers at the end of the last century, but prison isn't an improvement in society's treatment plan.
Most people will have some experience with and empathy for people with illnesses such as depression, but there's scant political traction in advocating a more compassionate plan for the sufferers of schizophrenia and such, many of who are self medicating on the streets and viewed as unpredictable, dangerous, unreliable, reckless, criminal...
Community welfare is long over due a carefully considered revision.

Anybody notice a few factual problems with this text?

Considering the new California DA announced that pissing in public is no longer being prosecuted yesterday, this article has the makings of fake news.

cyrano said:
Anybody notice a few factual problems with this text?

Considering the new California DA announced that pissing in public is no longer being prosecuted yesterday, this article has the makings of fake news.

Any article that focuses on the "homeless problem" by highlighting a really disgusting single incident definitely has some kind of agenda or bias going on. 

This situation is a slow moving train wreck that many have seen coming for some time.

I am repeating myself but politicians blame everything else but their own policies.

This is developing into a public health hazard for the entire region, the public is finding it harder to ignore.

JR

PS: Decriminalizing street urination is addressing the wrong problem. 

You'll still get dragged off here by the cops if they find you even discretely pee peeing in the corner ,
The irony is , you can run down a side street and let your ass blow like a volcano in someones door way and the cops cant touch you legally , not that they'd want their patrol vehicle stunk out anyway  ;D

Holy hell Winston,
how long were you a guest of tin pan alley?
You must have witnessed the best and worst of humanity to have come through it ,
Big saluts also for for having the courage to share your story here .

I've seen a handfull duped and doped out of existance by medics who insist on some chemical imbalance theory without even questioning if there are underlying issues that need to be addressed.
Lately Im hearing more and more doctors standing up against these  damaging substances  in favour of proper councilling services which are almost non existant or very hard to get on public health here. This idea that deep underlying issues or emotional pain  can be wiled away with legal yet highly addictive stupifying drugs is the biggest load of toss Ive ever heard in my life .

Last time I went to the 'big city' for a business meeting, some 'guy' in the road had a range of 'readies' ready to go in front of me ..  while I was waiting for the security to come down the elvator and 'handle' me.

Glad to be a country hick now, even if only for the acres of 'poop  space' available at hand, should, literally .. the s h t f  ???

Latest posts

Back