Suggestions needed for software, interface etc.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running ARTA on a Mac, packaged with Winebottler.

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Doesn't work on Catalina yet, unfortunately.

ARTA is great and has a very knowledgeable and down to earth community. A friend who's professionally measuring speakers for big and small manufacturers swears by it too.

I like the Presonus entry level DAW software suite ...  I do think it is avail on mac  [should check]

It's quite great for an entry ..  very impressive on my pc.

For general audio testing, I would say REW  ..  I also think they do mac

An interface on the low cost end, I would look at some m-audio stuff - again, in the pc world they are quite credible even at the low cost end of thing ..  especially for 'testing' where sometimes things can see some wear and tear.

Maybe a bit off topic but can you recommend a 2-ch interface that would accurately measure frequency response up to 95ish kHz (i.e 192kHz interface)?

There are several. First stop would be Sweetwater.

I know of the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
Tascam just released one.
I think there is also a Behringer model.
Steinberg...

Search the Sweetwater website.

lsburden said:
There are several. First stop would be Sweetwater.

I know of the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
Tascam just released one.
I think there is also a Behringer model.
Steinberg...

Search the Sweetwater website.
It's not as simple as it seems.
I ordered an Icon interface that was just perfect, all balanced line level, built like a tank, no knobs, but the frequency response has about 3dB variation across the range, which actually falls short of 60kHz with 192k SR. Had to send it back.
The Behringer, I have, UMC202HD, I could never make it work at 192k; even at 96k, it's not stable. It's used as a door stop.
The Scarlet is promising, but the frequency response at 192k is not spec'd. They just say 20kHz at 48k SR.
I don't know about a new Tascam, the one that seems to be actual doesn't run at 192k.
Steinberg say 22k.

Look here:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/mchstreamer

USB, ADAT, 115$, 384 kHz, Win, Mac, Linux.

Or simply buy a UMIK1 if you only do acoustical measurements:

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-setup-with-rew

cyrano said:
Look here:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/mchstreamer

USB, ADAT, 115$, 384 kHz, Win, Mac, Linux.

Or simply buy a UMIK1 if you only do acoustical measurements:

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-setup-with-rew

Do either of those have analog inputs? I didn’t see it listed in the specs. It looks great but no analog ins would be a deal killer for me.

Gold said:
Do either of those have analog inputs? I didn’t see it listed in the specs. It looks great but no analog ins would be a deal killer for me.

I posted this earlier in the thread.
It is a multichannel USB interface only.
Analog-to-digital and Digitial-to-analog conversion is required.

abbey road d enfer said:
I ordered an Icon interface that was just perfect, all balanced line level, built like a tank, no knobs, but the frequency response has about 3dB variation across the range, which actually falls short of 60kHz with 192k SR. Had to send it back.
The Behringer, I have, UMC202HD, I could never make it work at 192k; even at 96k, it's not stable. It's used as a door stop.
The Scarlet is promising, but the frequency response at 192k is not spec'd. They just say 20kHz at 48k SR.
I don't know about a new Tascam, the one that seems to be actual doesn't run at 192k.
Steinberg say 22k.

Exactly. Apparently it's not easy at all.

There's a new motu interface (m2) but I don't think it'll be any better in that aspect.

abbey road d enfer said:
Steinberg say 22k.

All that is fine but the original request was for 192k.
All of these interfaces are audio products, not test equipment. You are not going to get flat frequency response with these budget USB interfaces.
The Tascam 102i USB Audio interface claims 24bit/192k.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Series102i--tascam-series-102i-usb-audio-midi-interface

The point is, there are several interfaces out there - you just have to look.
If you are after legit test equipment you are on the wrong thread.

Steinberg UR22mkII USB Audio Interface
2-channel USB Audio Interface, 24-bit/192kHz, with 2 Mic/Line Inputs, MIDI I/O, and Bundled Software - Mac/PC

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22MKII--steinberg-ur22mkii-usb-audio-interface

warpie said:
Maybe a bit off topic but can you recommend a 2-ch interface that would accurately measure frequency response up to 95ish kHz (i.e 192kHz interface)?

Most likely you would need something that does 384k or higher.  All the 192k ones tend to have early roll off.  Which does make sense,  as part of the reason for higher sample rate is you don't need an ultra steep filter.

john12ax7 said:
Most likely you would need something that does 384k or higher.  All the 192k ones tend to have early roll off.  Which does make sense,  as part of the reason for higher sample rate is you don't need an ultra steep filter.

Exactly why I suggested the MiniDSP MCHStreamer.
USB interface, 32bit/384kHz SR.
Need ADC and DAC though. AKM AK5578 and AK4468 would be awesome.

Thanks for the further suggestions and keeping the conversation going regarding other issues.

Regarding flat frequency response to FS/2, one affordable interface I found was the Audient ID22 or ID44 which states response to be flat (+/- .5dB) from 10Hz to FS/2 via the direct to AD converter return points and the DAC outputs.  The problem being that maximum sampling rate is 96K only.

Stepping up in price, The RME ADI‑2 Pro with a 768kHz max sample rate and states that at 384 kHz, response is -1 dB: < 1 Hz – 124 kHz.

For what I want to do, decent FFT and spectral analysis up to an octave above audio is sufficient.  Anything above that I need to do I'll do it the old fashioned way with a generatorand a 'scope.

Winston O'Boogie said:
Thanks for the further suggestions and keeping the conversation going regarding other issues.

Regarding flat frequency response to FS/2, one affordable interface I found was the Audient ID22 or ID44 which states response to be flat (+/- .5dB) from 10Hz to FS/2 via the direct to AD converter return points and the DAC outputs.  The problem being that maximum sampling rate is 96K only.

Stepping up in price, The RME ADI‑2 Pro with a 768kHz max sample rate and states that at 384 kHz, response is -1 dB: < 1 Hz – 124 kHz.

For what I want to do, decent FFT and spectral analysis up to an octave above audio is sufficient.  Anything above that I need to do I'll do it the old fashioned way with a generatorand a 'scope.

As I mentioned before there's that new motu m2 interface which costs a couple of hundred euro and it seems very decent. 

Personally I think I might end up with a qa401 sooner or later. Still trying to decide.

warpie said:
As I mentioned before there's that new motu m2 interface which costs a couple of hundred euro and it seems very decent. 

Personally I think I might end up with a qa401 sooner or later. Still trying to decide.

Only 96kHz sample rate though...for $169.
The Scarlett sample rate is 192kHz for $159.

warpie said:

I'm not seeing specs regarding upper frequency response on the MOTU M2, have you seen it listed anywhere?
Yep the QA401 looks nice but seems to be Windows only unless I missed that too 😜

Back