What do you use to fit a standard 500 module in 51x slot?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spino

Hi,

I clearly remember more than a couple of posts regarding what people use to insert a standard 500 module into a 51x slot to make sure that no wrong contacts are made and the module stays in place.
I'm having problems with a slightly longer 500 module that I can't screw to the chassis to fix it, so after a while it slowly slides downwards, shorts something and blows the +48 fuse on the PSU of the box, which is utterly annoying.

I must be getting dumber because I've searched through the forum and I can't find any reference.

So what do you guys use? Do you actually put something in the slot to stop the module from moving?

Thanks.

radardoug said:
If your module is longer than the frame, then you have the wrong frame. Why try and put a module in the wrong frame? Buy the right frame.

This is not the answer to the question I asked and it solves a problem that I don't have.

My question was what do you use to better fit a 500 module in a 51x slot. That is, what do you put in the slot to restrict it to a 500 module length so that the module won't wiggle in it.

To answer your answer, there are a plethora of reasons why a 500 module would not fit perfectly in a slot, main reason is that the myriad of module and lunchbox producers don't use the same exact standard and the modules are all slightly different.

I hear your pain! I cut down little pieces of veroboard to block the bottom part of the 51x slots, so the 500 modules just fit right in.

Should note that my 51x pins aren’t actually hooked up to anything (I futureproofed my 500 rack rather than having a working 51x, if that makes sense) so you’d probably want to use something insulated - maybe just a blank sheet of plastic or fibreglass of the right width that you can cut down?

TwentyTrees said:
I hear your pain! I cut down little pieces of veroboard to block the bottom part of the 51x slots, so the 500 modules just fit right in.

Should note that my 51x pins aren’t actually hooked up to anything (I futureproofed my 500 rack rather than having a working 51x, if that makes sense) so you’d probably want to use something insulated - maybe just a blank sheet of plastic or fibreglass of the right width that you can cut down?

Thanks for the suggestion, I believe I only have conducting pieces around here, but I'll look to make it work.

Latest posts

Back