Shure SM58 repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

My mate Bob brought me his old SM58 mic for me to repair. Like most SM58s this one has had an interesting life and has a few dents in the wire cage to show for it. Bob bought is second hand in the 1970s from a topless girl band so heaven only knows how old it is or what it has seen.

Anyway, taking the top off I see three wires coming from the capsule. One to the centre, one to a tab on one side and the third is broken off, The end of this wire also appears to be soldered to a broken off tab.

I have never fixed a mic before so looking for advice on how best to proceed.

Cheers

Ian

Don't know what you have to repair in it, but here's a schematic. You might just have to resolder broken wires.

Attachments

• 65995c71-09ed-47ec-a6b0-49e75541baea.jpg
    65995c71-09ed-47ec-a6b0-49e75541baea.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 46
When you say "taking the top off" , do you mean unscrewing the base from the cartridge!
If so, there should be a green a blcak and a yellow wire coming up from the base.
The green goes to the terminal with a red dot, the black goes to the centre screw/nut terminal, and the yellow goes to the other.

The problem is the wires twist as you screw the body and capsule/top section  on or off  , only  takes a few times before the wires break off . Resolder the wires and twist them  a few turns in the opposite direction , then screw it back together , probably give it another lifetimes usage with luck.  The dents in the grill can usually be bashed out  with care too , a stick of strong timber such as a the back end of a drumstick and a small mallet can be used there . take out the foam too and de-louse it , wire brush can be used to get any rust on the grill away also.

Walrus said:
When you say "taking the top off" , do you mean unscrewing the base from the cartridge!
I mean hold the base and unscrew the basket
If so, there should be a green a blcak and a yellow wire coming up from the base.
The green goes to the terminal with a red dot, the black goes to the centre screw/nut terminal, and the yellow goes to the other.
It is the yellow wire that has broken but it it still soldered to its tag. The tag appears to have sheared off.

Cheers

Ian

Tubetec said:
take out the foam too and de-louse it , wire brush can be used to get any rust on the grill away also.
I forgot to mention, the foam appears to have perished. Chunks of it have fallen out. Can you get a replacement?

Cheers

Ian

"It is the yellow wire that has broken but it it still soldered to its tag. The tag appears to have sheared off."

I think you should be able to just solder the wire back on to where the tag broke off. Unless the little board is itself broken.

At one time there was a part number for the foam, but I doubt whether Shure still do it. A replacement RK143G grille is only about £10, and there are probably cheap copies around now as well.

Fullcompass has the foam

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/001133-shure-36a678a-foam-grille-insert-for-sm58-and-beta58

It is available on Amazon as well at a low price

Walrus said:
"It is the yellow wire that has broken but it it still soldered to its tag. The tag appears to have sheared off."

I think you should be able to just solder the wire back on to where the tag broke off. Unless the little board is itself broken.
Unfortunately it turns out the little PCB tag is broken. Looks like there is no way to repair this.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back