Easy DIY Board etch video

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried this technique with no success.  I tried 3 different brands of nail polish remover with varying results, some close to good but none as good as the pre-sensitised PCB stock I use. I wanted to use this method to transfer the component overlay to the top of the PCB as I am happy with the way I etch the PCBs.

There are more videos on YT that use a combination of 3 parts Acetone and 7 parts Rubbing Alcohol , so if the above technique does not work for you, they might be worth trying.

Good luck and let us know please, it would be nice to follow the process.

peterc said:
I tried this technique with no success.  I tried 3 different brands of nail polish remover with varying results, some close to good but none as good as the pre-sensitised PCB stock I use. I wanted to use this method to transfer the component overlay to the top of the PCB as I am happy with the way I etch the PCBs.

There are more videos on YT that use a combination of 3 parts Acetone and 7 parts Rubbing Alcohol , so if the above technique does not work for you, they might be worth trying.

Good luck and let us know please, it would be nice to follow the process.

Not sure if this applies here peterc, but I too tried this process many times, over and over with horrible results. 

After much frustration,  I learned that my laser printer (Brother) is NOT capable of of laying down compatible toner.  Something about the Brother printers using some form of toner that doesn't work for making PCB's. 

Before I learned of this issue, in the meantime I had relented and purchased a laminator and a box of Pulsar's PCB-In-A-Box.  Using the laminator and the PCB-In-A-Box solution, I was able to make a working double-sided board on my first try in one pass - meaning, I laminated both sides in one pass and later etched both sides in one go.  In this case, I printed the laser prints at work using an older 4 digit model HP LaserJet printer.

I haven't gone back to test the acetone workflow presented in the video above using HP laser prints as I have a laminator now and that's easy and working for me. 

Maybe try another laser printer if you're not getting good results.

Cheers, Greg

Latest posts

Back