4-40 or 6-32?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

Hey all, I needed a couple brackets for a VU meter but of course, couldn't find them. So I made them out of some brass strip stock. But I can't figure from the photos whether the screws are 4-40 or 6-32.

And does it matter? How does one choose anyway?

See the photo; my brackets are on the bottom and an image of the ones to create are on the top.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike

Attachments

• brackets.jpg
    brackets.jpg
    750.5 KB · Views: 15
Impossible to tell from that picture while I could guess #4. It would help if there was a ruler (scale) in the picture.

#4 screws are 0.112" diameter 2.85mm
#6 screws are 0.138" diameter 3.5 mm

JR

Agreed - impossible to tell without a ruler. I don’t have the actual bracket either; I’m just working off an internet photo.

I’m sure it probably doesn’t matter which I use, but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or could share how you decide things like this.

Thx,

Mike

Those are the old style API 361 mounts?

Stock screws were 4-40 x 1.25”

Also included in the hardware bag was a small rubber “cup” or “boot” that went between the end of the screw and the rear of the front panel which helped keep the meter in place. The screws have a tendency to angle out as they are tightened so the rubber boots provide a bit of grip...

LFE, who took over the line, still sells the mounting brackets for the newer style mount, but these are harder to come by...

In fact, if you do come up with a viable alternative other than just a piece of threaded bar stock I’d be interested in getting a few dozen sets...

I’m on tour for the next 10 days but could provide more specific measurements when I’m home if it was helpful.

Ok!
Timothy

Timothy, that was amazing info! I really appreciate it!

The rubber boots make sense. Just out of curiosity I’m going to look into that as well.

I ended up going with 4-40.

Thanks for the update; it’s help like this that makes GDIY so amazing!

Good luck with the tour!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back