Converting faceplate milling to HPGL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Recall Ian saying something about consolidation and conversion of engraving plots saves money when FPE calculates costs in their software. Does anyone have experience with this?

I believe it requires exporting the project as pdf, use some type of pdf to HPGL converter, then import the HPGL back into FPE?

Any advice on how you personally go about this would be appreciated, thank you!

I doubt you could even get Dia to run. That's some old skool software. Inkscape might do it. But the open source stuff is usually a bit twitchy so it will take some trial and error for sure. Draftsight might also help if only to sanity check drawings to make sure curves don't get spined and such. If you can get a proper version of Corel Draw that might be the best option but I have no personal experience with Corel Draw, HPGL or FPE.

Several years ago a kind soul helped me by designing some front panels for me in HPGL which at the time did significantly reduce the cost of an Front Panel Designer front panel. However, now that they offer UV printing instead of engraving, there is basically one cost for printing the entire panel no matter how complex it is. And I suspect this is even cheaper than the HPGL route. The great thing is you design you panel as usual and just tell FPD you want to print rather than engrave.

So my question to you is, do you really need to engrave?

Cheers
#an

Latest posts

Back