Looking For a Compressor Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardus

WILL SOLDER FOR FOOD
No longer in NY and below the Mason Dixon line.
So I've found some great mic pres and EQ's to build, but now I'm looking for a good utility compressor to build. Just a good all around VCA comp that can handle a lot of source material you throw at it. Something like the Drawmer DL241. 500 series would be cool, or 1U rack mountable into a dual mono (maybe stereo linkable) config.

I saw that someone cloned the SLL channel strip dynamics module, but after reading that thread it looked like there were some unobtanium parts in there.

Anyway, what do you think is a good all-around comp build? Hopefully one with readily available parts.

Any ideas?

For 500 series maybe the Sound Skulptor CP4500 or Hairball FET/500?

For 1u maybe the GSSL from PCBGrinder?

I built the FET/500 from Hairball and it sounds great to my ears. Very versatile with the ratio options from 2:1 to “all buttons in”

Fuzz Face said:
For 500 series maybe the Sound Skulptor CP4500 or Hairball FET/500?

For 1u maybe the GSSL from PCBGrinder?

I built the FET/500 from Hairball and it sounds great to my ears. Very versatile with the ratio options from 2:1 to “all buttons in”

I just ordered the GSSL from PCB Grinder.

I was thinking there might be something more along the lines of one of Gustav's PCB builds somewhere around here on the forums. Something that someone did and has some boards for sale. Get a nice PCB and a BOM, and then have someone make some faceplates or something. A little more DIY than the kits you mentioned (although some of those are on the list).

I also have two 1176 RevD's from Hairball, so I'm looking for some different flavors. Like I say, a good basic utility comp. I thought for sure there would be something someone made around here.

THAT4301 compressor sold by our member Ungifted on his webpage Diy-tubes.com
He has a thread here in White Market and there are some threads with build docs and support.
It is similar to GSSL in terms of open transparent sound since it uses newer VCA chip by the same company, but it's mono board that can be linked in pairs for stereo. Nothing unobtainum and reasonably cheap to build.
It is basically the same circuit as in Pico Compressor or later commercially sold FCS Compressor by Foote Systems.

shot said:
THAT4301 compressor sold by our member Ungifted on his webpage Diy-tubes.com
He has a thread here in White Market and there are some threads with build docs and support.
It is similar to GSSL in terms of open transparent sound since it uses newer VCA chip by the same company, but it's mono board that can be linked in pairs for stereo. Nothing unobtainum and reasonably cheap to build.
It is basically the same circuit as in Pico Compressor or later commercially sold FCS Compressor by Foote Systems.

That sounds promising.

But in stock at the same place:

http://diy-tubes.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_61&product_id=153

Ricardus said:
Something like the That4301 comp  with balanced I/O would be cool. Even better with attack and release controls.
The 160x has no time-constant controls; it is one of the most useful compressors on earth, though.
That's the beauty of the decilinear RMS detector, it's fast on fast-moving signals, it's slow on the slow ones.

I built the 4301 by ungifted. Works good. I use my 160x's in every session as they are great comps especially for bass and drums. The GSSL is a great compressor. Light settings for me but it stays on the mix for every mix. I nodded mine with the usual goodies

Ricardus said:
Something like the That4301 comp  with balanced I/O would be cool. Even better with attack and release controls.

I'm surprised no one has done a 500 series.
I built a small batch a couple years ago. Balanced I/O with THAT 1246/1646. Thrust switch, variable HPF dual 8-LED meter.
Unfortunately I'm out of stock of both PCB's and metalwork.

Attachments

• MAG 51X comp.jpg
    MAG 51X comp.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 93
abbey road d enfer said:
I built a small batch a couple years ago. Balanced I/O with THAT 1246/1646. Thrust switch, variable HPF dual 8-LED meter.
Unfortunately I'm out of stock of both PCB's and metalwork.

Now THAT'S what I'm looking for! I can get metalwork made if you have an FPD file or something. But I would need the boards. Would love to build at least 12 of those.

Ricardus said:
Now THAT'S what I'm looking for! I can get metalwork made if you have an FPD file or something. But I would need the boards. Would love to build at least 12 of those.
I have the metalwork drawings in .dwg and .dxf formats.
I need to check with my PCB fab a quotation for a small run.

abbey road d enfer said:
I have the metalwork drawings in .dwg and .dxf formats.
I need to check with my PCB fab a quotation for a small run.

I'm sure my panel guy can handle those file formats.

It's mostly a question of money right now on how many boards I can buy at once, but please get that quote. I'm dead serious about wanting to build a ton of these, so hopefully we can figure it out.

Ricardus said:
I'm sure my panel guy can handle those file formats.

It's mostly a question of money right now on how many boards I can buy at once, but please get that quote. I'm dead serious about wanting to build a ton of these, so hopefully we can figure it out.
If I place an order for 20 pieces, final cost is €30 ($33 at today's rate) for the main board and €14 ($15.5) for the meter board. Delivery time from fab is 25 days from purchasing date.
Note that ordering 40 pieces would decrease price by almost 30%.

Hi Abbey,

Im very interested in... pcbs+frontpanel would be cool...

Btw. what format is your comp? Its looks like 500 series...

Thanks

M.

Vac11 said:
Hi Abbey,

Im very interested in... pcbs+frontpanel would be cool...

Btw. what format is your comp? Its looks like 500 series...

Thanks

M.
Yes, it's 500 format.
Regarding metalwork, the ones I built I drilled myself. I wouldn't want to do that anymore. I'll try to get a quotation from a metalworker.

abbey road d enfer said:
Yes, it's 500 format.
Regarding metalwork, the ones I built I drilled myself. I wouldn't want to do that anymore. I'll try to get a quotation from a metalworker.

Why on earth would you be hand drilling stuff when you have CAD files and someone else making the panels?!!?

And who is this other guy butting in on my thread?!  :)

Latest posts

Back