Mill Drill Press gift

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

My Brother gave me his Buffalo Mill  Drill Press.  He has a big 4500 lb mill and makes a lot part the old way with a lathe and the mill.  quite the shop.

Is anybody still using these? What do you make?  I know you can cut slots and such.  I figure the drill press is handy. This thing weighs  about 250 lbs or more.  I have tooling chucks, bits and all the cal wheels and such and will take some lessons from my brother on operation.  Also plan to visit youtube.

Attachments

• Mill Drill Press.jpg
    Mill Drill Press.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 52
Aah, nice one.

There's no obligation to use advanced milling abilities, 'cause you'll definitely be able to enjoy it's build qualities to the full even by simply drilling holes in thin chassis metal plate.

/Jakob E.

fazer said:
My Brother gave me his Buffalo Mill  Drill Press.  He has a big 4500 lb mill and makes a lot part the old way with a lathe and the mill.  quite the shop.

Is anybody still using these? What do you make?  I know you can cut slots and such.  I figure the drill press is handy. This thing weighs  about 250 lbs or more.  I have tooling chucks, bits and all the cal wheels and such and will take some lessons from my brother on operation.  Also plan to visit youtube.
That is a serious drill press... I worked on one back in the 60s when I was a teen working in a machine shop that was even bigger. It had an automatic feed for controlling the chuck, cutting liquid system, etc..

I once had to cut big holes in sheet metal using a fly(?) cutter.
41VMXNN02SL._AC_UL115_.jpg

I stacked about 4 sheets of sheet metal up on top of each other and clamped them down securely to the press table. You don't want to mess with cutting/drilling loose sheet metal by hand.  :eek:

JR

simply drilling holes in thin chassis metal plate
    this is mostly what I will be doing with it.

ribbon motors
like Magnet structures for microphones.  interesting.

using a fly(?) cutter
I did that once with a hand drill and circular cutter (like the one you show) into a metal panel building to run a 4" pipe through the wall,  not easy on the wrist trying to keep the drill study while it twisted and turned.  I was tougher then,  not so much these days.

My brothers 4500 pound mill.  had to rent a large forklift to get off the trailer and then machine dollies to roll on concrete.  Big day but he loves this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_7145.jpg
    IMG_7145.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 42
My older brother had his own personal machine shop a couple decades ago. When he changed jobs one time the new company offered to pay his household moving expenses across country. They didn't expect moving a few tons of shop machinery from his house.  (He  had a Bridgeport mill, a metal lathe, and more.) ::)

JR

Back