Build your own REDD.51 desk

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston OBoogie

Not a schematic, but still worth the bandwidth if you're anything like me:

Attachments

• rsz_1redd51-c3-casedrawing.jpg
    rsz_1redd51-c3-casedrawing.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 377
Money allocated for building a REDD.51 @ the Hayes factory was £8,000 in 1958:

Attachments

• Approval for building REDD51.jpg
    Approval for building REDD51.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 133
An early REDD.37 which was built in Germany but not destined for Abbey Road Studios.    Note the straight-line faders in lieu of Paintons and also no provision for changing the EQ from "Classic" to "Pop"

Attachments

• REDD Prototype.jpg
    REDD Prototype.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 208
The desk shown at the rear was also designated a REDD.51 but was used for transfers and mastering rather than studio recording.  The control surface housed equipment such as the "CurveBender" which was appropriate for that job rather than the usual control room stuff.

Attachments

• Room11.jpg
    Room11.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 348
Here's the "Top" EQ response as measured through the only known surviving REDD.51 desk.  It's inclusive of the whole desk path, from Mic in to Track/Bus out:

Attachments

• REDD51TopEQResponse.gif
    REDD51TopEQResponse.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 128
Same thing for the Bass EQ response.  Both these show the "Pop" EQ of course.

Attachments

• REDD51BassEQResponse.gif
    REDD51BassEQResponse.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 94
Glad you enjoyed  Warpie and Doug 😊

Here's a shot of some of the cabling and transformers inside the centre case section of the surviving  REDD.51

Attachments

• REDD51cableform.jpg
    REDD51cableform.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 315
Lovely stuff Winston. Interesting to see the pop EQ high measured response differs from that published in Recording the Beatles.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Interesting to see the pop EQ high measured response differs from that published in Recording the Beatles.

I don't have a copy of the book any more to see what you noticed  but if it's substantially different then that is surprising. 
Even before the REDD.51 now at British Grove was located in Milan I'd given Kevin and Brian copies of the EMI documents showing all the EQ curves. 

Winston O'Boogie said:
I don't have a copy of the book any more to see what you noticed  but if it's substantially different then that is surprising. 
Even before the REDD.51 now at British Grove was located in Milan I'd given Kevin and Brian copies of the EMI documents showing all the EQ curves.

Actually I think you are right. The Classical EQ hi band is shelving and the Pop one is peaking at about 4.7KHz (which I think is the same as the 4.7KHz band in the RS127 Brilliance box)

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Actually I think you are right. The Classical EQ hi band is shelving and the Pop one is peaking at about 4.7KHz (which I think is the same as the $.7KHz band in the RS127 Brilliance box)

Ah OK, yes that's right. 
I don't believe there's any anecdotal or archived evidence that the REDD.51 in studio 2 at Abbey Road ever had the EQ cassettes switched from Pop to Classic, which makes sense since it was the main studio for pop and light music recording.  Studio 1 (with its REDD.37) being the main classical studio, along with Kingsway Hall of course.
I don't know whether that holds true for the 51 desk installed in studio 3 as I do know some smaller ensemble and piano classical recordings were made in there.

And of course, you're correct in that the RS.127 was indeed a bell shape EQ and has, for the most part, the same Q as the Pop EQ top end.

Got ya.  In a multiple frequency EQ such as yours, it makes perfect sense to have the boost and cut be reciprocal. 
Since the desk EQ was a simpler fixed frequency top and bottom tone control,  it made sense for the top cut to be shelving.

Winston O'Boogie said:
Got ya.  In a multiple frequency EQ such as yours, it makes perfect sense to have the boost and cut be reciprocal. 
Since the desk EQ was a simpler fixed frequency top and bottom tone control,  it made sense for the top cut to be shelving.

Exactly, my REDD EQ mimics the classical bass and treble shelving controls and adds a mid band based on the RS127. Hopefully best of both worlds.

Cheers

Ian

Winston O'Boogie said:
Not a schematic, but still worth the bandwidth if you're anything like me:

This is a fantastic find. Thank you for the share.
Presently we are teaching our 12 year son (and I, really I am the one learning) to build out a EZ Tube Mixer with the topic of desk design a much heated conversation around the family dinner table.

We were torn about the EQ to select for our classic build. That said, maybe a micro-model in the fashion of the REDD shown may be in order.

Latest posts

Back