Tesla Truck

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I wouldn't want to be the glass company rep trying to splain that to Elon... ::)

JR

PS: Elon has always been slick about capturing government support. An EV truck gets both EV subsidies and tariff protection (if built in US). Ford is building their EV mustang in Mexico. Ford and Chevy both have EV trucks in the pipeline, so not clear Tesla will actually beat them to market by much if any significant opportunity time.

It looks about as modern as a Delorean ,but with big wheels  :-\

Did they not do a test with the ball bearings first ?  Its a layer of polycarbonate that stops the bullet ,not the glass .

Tubetec said:
It looks about as modern as a Delorean ,but with big wheels  :-\

Did they not do a test with the ball bearings first ?  Its a layer of polycarbonate that stops the bullet ,not the glass .

They tested it several times, but probably fatigued the glass with all the repeated strikes.

JR

I thought it was pretty ugly and the tapered box sides was kind of a failure in design for the old Honda pickup.  $40k entry means what $80k real.  Still it’s a changing world.  Who needs cars in the future?  We got trucks now.  Built Tesla Tough! BAM!

I drive a truck and I love the concept of an electric truck.

I really don’t like the way this thing looks though. Honda truck and Delorean were perfect comparisons. My girlfriend told me someone said it looks like it came out of a PlayStation 1 game and I agree

Mbira said:
Doesn't look like you can fit a full sheet of plywood in the back to me...

Great,  a hideous looking monstrosity funded by taxpayers that can't even perform the necessary truck functions.

Brings back memories of when Homer Simpson designed a car.

pucho812 said:
The glass and the bearing all be it funny was pretty normal. Ever see videos of bullet proof glass getting tested, it basically does that when hit by a bullet.
Yup the glass worked and occupants were safe. For a high technology company they forgot some basic materials science (like fatigue from repeated strikes, they tested it to failure).  I would also be curious about the steel ball. Was is smooth or did the surface have irregularities. If the surface of the ball was roughed up that could concentrate the force from a strike. The secret sauce for the ballistic glass is a flexible media inside the glass that absorbs/distributes force while preventing it from shattering.

Not sure normal people need bullet proof glass in their pickup trucks unless they are transporting drugs in Mexico, or in some war zone.

Indeed the truck looks like something from an old science fiction movie but who knows what will be fashionable a couple years from now when it might exist. I somehow doubt he is going after the classic PU truck customer. If he wants to look different from conventional PU trucks he nailed that.

JR

I think the truck is a pretty decent metaphor for Elon himself...guy is loaded and gets loaded on a podcast while minorities go to prison for less...its a very high tech vehicle living with low tech purpose.

I suppose our expectations should always be tempered...just like the glass.

I have a friend who works at a place that develops electric vehicles, and he seems to think the body style is a PR stunt. He says they will most likely unveil a much more attractive body style near the release date to generate more excitement

Fuzz Face said:
I have a friend who works at a place that develops electric vehicles, and he seems to think the body style is a PR stunt. He says they will most likely unveil a much more attractive body style near the release date to generate more excitement
+1

That body almost looks like the dummy wrap detroit uses to protect new models from getting photographed.

It does look too amateurish to be a competitive entry.

JR

Looks like a total joke IMO. Like a prop from an the 80s C-movie.

To be honest, every time I see a Tesla I think "oversized Opel" (GM brand in Germany). Teslas never look like cars costing 100,000 bucks to me.

living sounds said:
Looks like a total joke IMO. Like a prop from an the 80s C-movie.

To be honest, every time I see a Tesla I think "oversized Opel" (GM brand in Germany). Teslas never look like cars costing 100,000 bucks to me.

I kind of liked the original tesla sports car but nowadays the acceleration from several EVs (max torque at stall) means several can general significant "eyeballs-in" acceleration.  8)

There is a competition between tesla and porsche on the Nurburgring where they are pressing the margins for EV power output and duration.

I like going fast but no longer drive crazy fast as often as I did last century.

JR

Back