HELP Requested:Midas TR Series Channel Strip as Stand alone preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andybot

Hello,
i have a Midas TR Series Channel strip that i would like to wire as a standalone preamp. I have build a power supply for it and tested it using a dynamic mic with the signal being taken from the insert send to the line in on a mackie mixer.

It works and sounds great but what i would like to do is take the highest quality signal from the strip and match it into the input of a Delta 10/10 which has a 10K input impedance.

So my question to the jury is whats the best way to get a signal out of the strip, what do i have to build and can i do both balanced and unbalanced. The run from preamp to delta can be very short but i would like the option of having a longer run.

I will upload the schematics and the pinout with this message.

Thx all

Attachments

• TR Series Strip Schematic.jpg
    TR Series Strip Schematic.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 36
I do hope this is the right forum for this, if not do tell. This attatchment is the strips pinout.Thx

Attachments

• TR Series Pinout.jpg
    TR Series Pinout.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 14
There a two way to do that, IMO. One is using existing parts on the strip you don't need anymore and reassign them for output duty. Second one is adding a new output balanced buffer. Can you upload a better quality picture of the schematic?

Hi moamps, thx for the reply. Sadly the original schematic is of a very low quality and im not sure if it can be improved upon. Ill try to track down something better but i have never had any luck in the past, perhaps their is another way......
I have one person i can ask so ill post when i hear something.
If you dont mind asking what part of Croatia are you in?
Thx

All the best from Canada, anywho I cannot track down a better schematic so i was wondering if it would help if cleaned up certain sections of the schematic. I was working on the insert send and return sections this morning and if it would help i could post a scan of what i have done.

What other sections might it help to clean up? I will post a description of the strip from the TR Manual it talks about the nature of the strip and allowed me to track down which IC's are doing what.

Thx

Could you make some pictures of the module from the component and front side?
Do you have a fader for it or module will be used without it?
Please confirm that the ICs at stereo output are TDA 1034.

Hi,
ill post some pics later. The strip is a sandwich but ill post pictures of the available sides.
I dont have a fader for it so i would light to got straight into the inputs of the delta 10/10.

The IC's , that i can see, are all NE5534AN.

Thx

Here are some pics of the strip.  As you can see its kind of a sambwich. The manual has the layout of each level if that will help.
Thx

Attachments

• inputmoduleTR04#5.jpg
    inputmoduleTR04#5.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 17
The other side is all traces , no components. I can take a pic of the traces if you like
Thx

Attachments

• tr04strip#6.jpg
    tr04strip#6.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 12
While im here I may as well post the layout for the strip. Its quality is not the best but all
I have.
Thx

Attachments

• TR04 Layout.pdf
    119.1 KB · Views: 10
Here is one mod you can do in 5 steps:
1. short insert point
2. short fader connection
3. use AUX 1 as output volume (set in pre mod)
4. make IC10 to be inverted amplifier (IC9 is noninverted amp), change R101 and 106 to 15k
5. add two output resistors

blue wires - cuts on pcb
red wires - additional connections

Attachments

• midas.png
    midas.png
    417.5 KB · Views: 12
Thx moamps, i appreciate the help.
It looks to me like this will give a balanced output, is this correct?

Also allow the eq section to be used?
A

Thx moamps, your a champ. Im sure ill have other questions but i have plenty to be going on with right now.

Do the 47ohm resistors have to be matched and what wattage should they be?......im assuming metal film resistors are the ones to put here?

Thx
A

Andybot said:
Do the 47ohm resistors have to be matched and what wattage should they be?......im assuming metal film resistors are the ones to put here?
Yes, standard metal-film 1% 0.6W will do.

Latest posts

Back