Neve 2254 build with ba185, ba191, ba192, ba283

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

Hi All,

Have made the pcbs and want to build a simplified version of just the compressor first of all then possibly add the limiter at a later stage.
Have used the lindell plugin version and have fallen in love with the sound of this compressor.
Aim is to wind my own trannys as have a fair few left over and was going to wind a few 10468 anyways.
Need to make a BOM and check all parts available before I get too excited!!
Any help and info would be much appreciated.

Bax16 = 1n4148
Hbx31 = Two match pairs of 1N4153 or 1N4148, see 33609/2264
Hs2027 = 2,7v Zener
Bcy70 = BC214
Bd123 = 2N3055

Do I need the ba340 pcb, No BC340 in a 2254

Wanted to do threshold control rather than input output control, could anyone post up how to do it please?

Ive read i can use a 1k pot?

Ive also just completed all the pcb boards with values, so I'm all set to make these boards, will start just getting the compressor side working, but will wind a few trannys first!!!

Could someone explain exactly what I can leave out just to get the compressor and no the limit going please?

I can see that the ba183 is basically the ba283, so this isn’t a problem as I’ve built loads of these.
The ba185 seems to be the limit function, so do I leave out this pcb? Or just part of it?
The ba192 I think is the meter pcb?
The ba191 is the diode bridge compressor part right?

Hi Spencer - I didn't know you also have this one in train !

I'm having a look at your details ...  I'm just an 'armchair' type on this particular build, being more of a 'TG' guy myself.

But anyway, its all very interesting to read on some-one else's exploits in this area.

Cheers
A

I’m going to make the pcbs over the next few days and start gathering some of the components.
going to do, BA283, BA185 and BA191 cards, then i need to investigate how to do just the compressor and get the threshold control going along with adjustable attack and release!!

any ideas anyone!!!?

Yeah just use photoshop, if it isn’t square then stretch it into shape , use magic wand to take out what you don’t need and grey scale it, then black it all up a bit more and fill any bits or smooth any bits you think need doing, reverse horizontally, then print on laser printer with cheap photo paper, then iron on copper clad board, then Put in ferric chloride for about 30 mins to and hour depending on strength of it, wash then drill the holes.

Works better when ferric chloride is warmer I’m doing it in my shed and it’s not exactly warm so takes ages!!
Did about 10 or so in a couple of hours yesterday.

Toner transfer never worked well for me, I swapped to photoresist boards. Nice approach on photoshop. If you were kind to share them, that would be nice. If not, sounds like a fun diy approach to try on a new project!

What I have shared everyone is capable of doing, somethings in diy are worth doing, making my own pcbs I find very therapeutic!! Along with sitting soldering!! But like doing the washing up!!
I gotta do a night shift tonight then a few more days off so hopefully will populate a few pcbs and then will need to order the rest of the bits.

Still haven’t worked out exactly how I’m going to do this build as there is a few things that I don’t understand yet as have t had time to sit down and look at it.

Back