Those hex screw mount spacers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I'm looking for those metal, hex shaped screws that you can use to mount your board in your box. Well, they're not so much screws as spacers with screw ends. I've only ever received them in kits before, so I don't know what they're really called or where to find them. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :?:

theres loads of types to choose from - all quite easily available...

http://www.mouser.com/?No=50&handler=data.listcategory&Ne=300&N=340

I like these non conductive nylon standoffs. You just drill a hole and pop them in. And you can remove the board without turning a screwdriver. They are chaep, so if you get a stubborn one, jus cut it with the dikes:

standoffs_3.jpg

The short end goes into the chassis.

standoffs_4.jpg

standoffs_5.jpg

[quote author="CJ"]I like these non conductive nylon standoffs. You just drill a hole and pop them in. And you can remove the board without turning a screwdriver. They are chaep, so if you get a stubborn one, jus cut it with the dikes:

standoffs_3.jpg

standoffs_4.jpg

standoffs_5.jpg

The short end goes into the chassis.[/quote]

I'd worry about those being too flimsy. Never had any problems?

[quote author="daArry"]theres loads of types to choose from - all quite easily available...

http://www.mouser.com/?No=50&handler=data.listcategory&Ne=300&N=340[/quote]

Ah, "standoffs!" Thanks!

You can also get those plastic ones with square self-adheisive bottoms, so you don't even have to drill the panel...

I always end up DIYing these anyway, a long M3 with a bit of sheathing from an appropriate cable over it, the PCB sits on the cross-section of the sheath with the end of the bolt poking through. If you can measure and drill accurately (which you have to do whatever standoff you use), you can get whatever height you want above the bottom plate.

way too much fuss to make yourself, I bought a bunch from ebay last year, 4-40 and 6-32, everything from 1/4" to 2", Military Stainless Steel and aluminum...dirt cheap. They show up plenty, look for the seller 'goldenopportunities' - also got plenty of Kepnuts, nylon insert nuts, screws etc etc....best surplus store around!

Latest posts

Back