PT2399 Echo Delay Reverb Processor IC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuzz Face said:
To be fair the PT2399 itself tends to sound pretty good. Not really for reverb but for echo/delay. The delayed signal is dark and lofi, which works well to keep repeats from obscuring the dry signal

To me it sounds more like BBD delay than tape delay

Agree with that.    It's  a useable delay chip.  Not everyone wants crystal clear delays,  they get in the way ......

I would rather use a Spin FV-1 personally, but I don’t know what newer parts are out there these days

I have a FV-1 in PCB for reverb,. Ready to mount in a pedal.  Need to finish it.  I have a modulation delay with FV 1.  It’s not my favorite DDL but works well mixed low as an almost reverb . 

I have used an FV 1 for pitch changing.  (I do a looping performance for some art shows on 1st fridays.)  I wanted to use it for playing bass parts with a guitar in an active loop.  The delay was unusable.  I’m still interested in a usable pitch shifter but need more instant response.  Any suggestions are welcome.   

I think whoops likes pedals for verbs and doesn’t use any conventional reverbs.  When things get to clean and to much topend,  it does get in the way.  Is there any 20khz reflections in a real room?

fazer said:
I have a FV-1 in PCB for reverb,. Ready to mount in a pedal.  Need to finish it.  I have a modulation delay with FV 1.  It’s not my favorite DDL but works well mixed low as an almost reverb . 

I have used an FV 1 for pitch changing.  (I do a looping performance for some art shows on 1st fridays.)  I wanted to use it for playing bass parts with a guitar in an active loop.  The delay was unusable.  I’m still interested in a usable pitch shifter but need more instant response.  Any suggestions are welcome.   

I think whoops likes pedals for verbs and doesn’t use any conventional reverbs.  When things get to clean and to much topend,  it does get in the way.  Is there any 20khz reflections in a real room?
I am tempted to go off on a big stompbox tangent but I don’t want to take over Ian’s thread. I’d be happy to chat about it in a PM or other thread

Accutronics is pretty decent sounding to me. Belden reverb.  I built a pedal that used both and it really is pretty good. Yeah digital effects like the FV-1 stuff is superior but I really thought the belden pt2399 build sounded nice. Another really good pedal pcb company that reverse engineers pretty complex circuits is pedal pcb. They make a FV-1 pcb that can be utilized in a variety of ways. Aion Electronics is pretty cool too.

Rocinante said:
Accutronics is pretty decent sounding to me. Belden reverb.  I built a pedal that used both and it really is pretty good. Yeah digital effects like the FV-1 stuff is superior but I really thought the belden pt2399 build sounded nice. Another really good pedal pcb company that reverse engineers pretty complex circuits is pedal pcb. They make a FV-1 pcb that can be utilized in a variety of ways. Aion Electronics is pretty cool too.

Thanks for the tips. I have been to pedalpcb.com but I was not aware they do an FV-1 PCB.

Cheers

ian

https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=pt2399

That guy sells PT2399 in the UK  .

1776 Multiplex & MP Jr DIY FX PCB's use the same chip, I built one & really like it, very retro tape delay sounding,  does that tape on tape swell sound well.

Perfect for guitar although this circuit doesn't sound like  a BBD delay as I've built a Memory Man Deluxe clone & they sound different IMO.

I reckon it would be worth checking out the schematic if you wanted to design a PT2399 delay.

I got some "ebay bucks" as a reward for spending too much money online so I grabbed a handful of these chips to play with.  I am probably going in the direction of the MFOS circuit but might try one of the analog delay simulators.  They are so inexpensive I'm looking for excuses to use them!

squarewave said:
Honestly I don't know why anyone would bother with a chip like that anymore. The latest digital delay guitar pedal has amazing specs. It's just not that hard or expensive to put an ADC, DAC, pic and some RAM on a PCB and get near perfection.

Well, they're cheap and don't require any extra equipment to flash the chip. Some people also just like the way they sound.

You can't do a whole lot about the SNR of any particular chip, but you can at least get halfway decent headroom for a guitar with an LED on Pin 7 (or pin 8, you only need one).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P7uOYFRH6ZW5eGoquhAiMQMyUU76bod_gNKkiSlPNJM/edit

Pretty shameless, I know, but I can definitely recommend the above circuit for a guitar pedal. :p

A little while ago I found this multi FX unit on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000171960165.html

It arrived in the post yesterday. Looking under the microscope I see it uses the following chips:

Wavefront AL3201B which turns out to be a DSP FX chip made by Alesis
Cirrus Logic CS4270 which seems to be a fairly reasonable  CODEC
ATMegaAU which is one of the Atmel RISC microcontrollers

So, for less than $17 it has quite a reasonable chip set an I expect it should be capable of decent results.

But the most surprising thing to me is I never knew Alesis made chips.

Cheers

Ian

gyraf said:
..your link won't load..

This one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000171960165.html

/Jakob E.

Thanks Jakob, that is the one. I think my link did not work because I was logged in. I have fixed my post.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
...for less than $17 it has quite a reasonable chip set an I expect it should be capable of decent results.

Hi Ian,

I would be very interested to read what your first impressions are.
Are most of the effects of a reasonable quality?

Ruud.

RuudNL said:
Hi Ian,

I would be very interested to read what your first impressions are.
Are most of the effects of a reasonable quality?

Ruud.

As soon as I have fired it up I will report back.

Cheers

Ian

Alesis were known early on for multiefx , quadraverb, nanoverb ,midiverb ,  real road workhorses .
They did of course also do the chips for the Adat optical system .

Latest posts

Back