Politics and social media incompatibility

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

So it shouldn't be big news smart phones and tablets have the capability via apps to bug your conversations ,transcribe via speech to text and apply this data to advertise to you . Thats all standard operating procedure with big data now.

But how can any politician in their right mind buy into it ,sure social media would seem to offer a big opportunity to gain votes ,but on the back hand someone could steal the words right out of your mouth ,  or specifically target adds , news or intimidation .
The whole situation has led to the likes of Cambridge Analytica and an abillity to mind bend a voting public without them even realising it .
In magic its been shown how clever psychology can 'force' a choice on  the unsuspecting and thats precisely the misdirection and trickery big social media is using on those foolish enough to engage ,like puppets on a string they dance to the tune .

Ive had cause to discuss the Greta Thunberg performance with some very good friends , the most intelligent people I know ,
I think we all had to admit a deep unease verging on anger , why is this ?
Well my own initial gut reaction was 'Hansel and Gretle meets the Exorcist'
Another friends reaction was this child must have been sexually abused  .
And another said it makes us angry because it forces us to confront our own built in blindspots , the autonomic response is to attack it . This all squares off perfectly with how Ive seen victims of abuse treated here , branded barking mad, removed and medicated down into a shadow of their former selves , all for the sake of the family and society saving face . 

You should talk to the people in question. Might reveal a few things you won't get from TV...

There's one thing to keep in mind when observing the despair of our youth: Spleen. In the beginning of a century, culture, philosophy etc. tends to turn more to the ascetic side.  The end of a century makes everything more hedonistic.

We're at the beginning of a new millennium. Probably makes the spleen worse.

When talking to young people, there's one thing that's clear to me. They are sincere. And they also are extremely pissed off by the spin doctors and the media who turn their sincerest emotions into drivel.

It's not indoctrination. And it's not limited to ecology. But the other feelings don't get translated by the media.

Tubetec said:
So it shouldn't be big news smart phones and tablets have the capability via apps to bug your conversations ,transcribe via text to speech and apply this data to advertise to you . Thats all standard operating procedure with big data now.
I do not know that it is openly SOP.
But how can any politician in their right mind buy into it ,sure social media would seem to offer a big opportunity to gain votes ,but on the back hand someone could steal the words right out of your mouth ,  or specifically target adds , news or intimidation .
The whole situation has led to the likes of Cambridge Analytica and an abillity to mind bend a voting public without them even realising it .
Politicians spend their waking hours trying to figure out how to stay in office. They raise campaign funding so they can spend it to stay in office. Legislators are willing to tolerate big data power in exchange for huge fines and help getting re-elected.
In magic its been shown how clever psychology can 'force' a choice on  the unsuspecting and thats precisely the misdirection and trickery big social media is using on those foolish enough to engage ,like puppets on a string they dance to the tune .
It's even more conflicted than that, we are not fully aware or completely understand our inner decision making process, even when we think we are alert and paying attention. Successful marketers can push our buttons without us thinking about it. 
Ive had cause to discuss the Greta Thunberg performance with some very good friends , the most intelligent people I know ,
I think we all had to admit a deep unease verging on anger , why is this ?
I had to search the name, I tried to ignore the ginned up side show when it was in the news cycle, and already forgot that name (now I have to try to forget her again).
Well my own initial gut reaction was 'Hansel and Gretle meets the Exorcist'
Another friends reaction was this child must have been sexually abused  .
And another said it makes us angry because it forces us to confront our own built in blindspots , the autonomic response is to attack it . This all squares off perfectly with how Ive seen victims of abuse treated here , branded barking mad, removed and medicated down into a shadow of their former selves , all for the sake of the family and society saving face .
Or you could just try to ignore the obvious emotional manipulations.

JR

I tried to figure out the original post--maybe something's lost in translation.  I'm not sure I get the leap from Cambridge Analytica to Thunberg being sexually abused. 

If the OP did the tiniest bit of internetting, he might discover as I did that Thunberg apparently has Asperger's.  This actually doesn't surprise me at all.  I've spent a fair amount of time with folks "on the spectrum"--friends, coworkers, my son's friends--and her approach to things more or less fits right in with others I've seen. 

It may be different from what you think of as normal.  But that does not indicate sexual abuse. 

Thanks Hodad ,
now that I look at it , it probably belonged in two separate posts ,

The point really I was trying to make about Greta was the narrative fitted what an abuse victim might say , I have serious doubts about many of these so called behavioural syndromes ,that they dont somehow lie in an unexpressed trauma of one kind or another .  I know if I was growing up now I'd probably be badged and put on the spectrum and medicated, but I've also worked through my own(legacy) issues to the extent that I understand it had a very profound effect on my own behaviour . The other point I wanted to hit with the Greta post was the somewhat visceral reaction to her speech by mainly people of an older generation .

Hopefully there's a bit more clarity there , and thanks again  for posting. 

I know ,I know , Im the world worst cynic at times ,
but the basic message that we ,the human race are far outstripping the capabilities of the planet is not lost on me dont worry,
Ok we have two basic scenarios , we could allow the western population to shrink to a more sustainable level , everything shrinks with it , including the economy and profits or as seems to be happening were  going to be replaced by more and more people with lower expectations ,who are more productive and are willing to live more frugally  under poorer conditions .

I did a little digging on Greta , turns out the poor child has been diagnosed with a range  of debilitating  disorders including an eating disorder , adhd , aspergers, autism and depression ,surely you have to question the motivations of her parents for allowing  their vulnerable child into the full glare of world media in this way.

Tubetec said:
surely you have to question the motivations of her parents for allowing  their vulnerable child into the full glare of world media in this way.

On the other hand I could applaud them for supporting her in this. 

Looking at it on the cynical side, we're really not all that far from when "vulnerable" females with some personality quirks could be committed to a mental institution on little more than their parents' say.

vulnerable child into the full glare of world media in this way

I haven't kept up with her feed, but wrt her initial UN 'agnst-speech', it feels like poisoning the well to call her sanity into question. The issue remains- are we doing enough to stem the tide of agw or are the alarmists being fueled by pseudo-science?

As always, there’s a happy medium, should we as a state, as a country, and eventually as a global-majority, truly want to get there. Make reasonable goals over a reasonable timetable, and execute, period! Keep replacing leadership until it’s done! I don’t care what anyone tells me, the absolute reason we won’t get it done is because of ourselves. Business as usual... It’s always the other party’s fault! Keep voting along party-lines! Should I live a full-life, we’ll still be arguing the petty (as will my kids), accomplish nothing, and be worse off!

Im from Ireland , we had some of the highest rates of people incarcerated for so called mental illnesses , if you dig down a little bit you find many of the people who were signed away as 'mad' by their families were in fact victims of sexual abuse , it was more convienient for families ,the medical profession and the state itself to remove peoples veracity as witnesses by calling them mad ,locking them up ,and medicating them out of existance , Ive seen it happen ,several people I knew who were victims of familial abuse and werent acknowledged eventually took their own lives ,family rathered them dead  to keep a lid on it , its still going on now.

As always ,agree or disagree many thanks to all who contributed  :)

Heres something from todays local newspaper on the phone tapping Apple is doing ,

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/apple-no-longer-using-contractors-to-listen-to-siri-recordings-dail-committee-hears-968197.html

Again the government chair of that committee needs to be quiet as its her parties lack of diligence has allowed this to happen,
another member of the opposition  explains what the companies are doing is legal and the leader of the green party claims his own private conversations were pinched to market to him. For anyone in the EU  over the age of fourteen years old  its open season for big data to play its game of bait, hook and loop because of the sweetheart deal this administration cut with the data devil, its a bloody disgrace. 

hey, whats good is that you are analytical about the reasons you felt a certain way (anger/uneasiness).  I call it separating myself from the monster within. Our base impulses have to be seen as "separate" (from what, is a whole other conversation) if we are to survive in this modern world... Morals and values are completely fabricated by the society you were born into and mostly at odds with what the "body" wants.

Thanks Blue well said ,
I'd liken it to learning to separate gut instinct from  emotion , once you get to there the words can come out .

you guys need to drop acid so your brain can learn how to discuss things with its selves........  :eek:

or not  8)

JR

PS: What are the odds against them making Greta "man" of the year? (not joking, and not an insult aimed toward her, perhaps an insult to everybody else.).

calling them mad ,locking them up ,and medicating them out of existence

Yeah, I had a friend when I was younger get locked up for antisocial behavior. He was eventually given a clean bill of health which happened to coincide with his insurance limit being reached.    :mad:

I think thats a fair enough appraisal of the hallucinogenic experience  John ,
seeing the world through someone else's eyes or maybe a new perspective on your own existance might be another way of looking at it  too,
Ability to visualise seems enhanced on it , you could easily imagine yourself an electron in a circuit or on an interplanetary mission  and even in complete darkness you'll see things . Imagination alone is enough to carry you away on a magic carpet ride to wherever you want to go . You might not have moved off the seat for the duration ,but you will feel like you've been on a journey when you return  :D

its open season for big data to play its game of bait, hook and loop because of the sweetheart deal this administration cut with the data devil, its a bloody disgrace.

+1 

Seen the netflix movie "The Great Hack"?  Terrifying.

Maybe thats a small plus of the system there in one respect , if theres no insurance they wont bother trying to lock you up in the longer term . Here in Ireland government health insurance pays if the individual has no means to pay , the real problem here is the number of beds available at any given time means people have to be prioritised and thats a really hard call to make . Only lately are advocacy groups starting to stand up against long term meds in place of councilling or other spoken cure therapies. From big pharma's point of view theres no money in a cure , they want people on meds for the rest of their lives .While chemically dumbing people down might give some relief in the shorter term ,my view is over the longer term its actually counterproductive to the process of rebuilding or coming to terms with the underlying causes .

Latest posts

Back