Willie quit pot

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwayfair

Good lord, the world really is coming to an end. Dude's 86 and has sucked down fields of the stuff. I thought he was indestructible.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/entertainment/willie-nelson-no-smoking-trnd/index.html

Country music icon, Willie Nelson, announced he is no longer smoking due to ongoing health and breathing issues.
Nelson is known for singing the virtues of smoking pot and even has his own line of marijuana products. On Friday, he spoke to CNN affiliate KSAT in San Antonio, Texas, where he performed.
[etc]

(I'm not a fan of how people act when they're high and would never personally use it, but I don't care what people do to their own bodies.)

EDIT: Oh crap, John R beat me to it in another thread!

Willie has not quit pot. He has probably quit smoking it only. I am sure he is having a good time with his edibles and other ways of consuming it. Willie has had major and minor breathing issues since the late 70's early 80's, he suffered a collapsed lung and has had lung and breathing issues since. Most of them usually mild. But yeah 86 and still plays one hell of a show.

I think how people react to substances varies a lot , as you can see from the quote I posted on the other thread below ,Willie himself found a preference for weed  over guns ,drinkin' and killin' and  he credits that for saving his life.  And by the way Willie hasnt  said he's given up being a stoner , he's just changed the delivery method  :D

Ive tried eating it and found the half life of maybe 12-16  hours  not very convienient , where the effect of a joint will typically wear off after 2-3  hours .

Tubetec said:
I think how people react to substances varies a lot , as you can see from the quote I posted on the other thread below ,Willie himself found a preference for weed  over guns ,drinkin' and killin' and  he credits that for saving his life.  And by the way Willie hasnt  said he's given up being a stoner , he's just changed the delivery method  :D

Ive tried eating it and found the half life of maybe 12-16  hours  not very convienient , where the effect of a joint will typically wear off after 2-3  hours .

I just bought tix for willie in february, he better not be sober!  :mad:

Eating weed is a lot different than smoking because of the way it is metabolized in the liver, it can be much more psychedelic.... I rarely eat it because of a few times when I over did it.    :eek: 

Tubetec said:

It has been years, decades, since I smoked whacky tobaccy, but my recollection was that smoking it had a longer tail for degraded cognitive ability (more like 18 to 24 hours, but not a scientific observation).

Not exactly edible but I recall one time back in the 60s messing with the THC infused liquid collected in the bottom of my DIY water pipe (hookah?) after several weeks of use.  I vaguely recall declaring that liquid evil and never repeating that experiment.  :eek:

JR

Speaking of being a nerd, years earlier when I was still in HS, actually Jr. HS, for some inexplicable reason I was in an advanced placement biology class (north Jersey must have been a slow neighborhood  ::) ) . 

I proposed an experiment using a DIY water pipe to see how fish felt about breathing cigarette smoke.  ::) This was clearly a thinly veiled subterfuge to get the teachers to let us light up and smoke a cigarette in class.. (not me of course but no trouble finding a volunteer).  Imagine one of the classes gold fish in the bottom of a water pipe, made from an erlenmeyer flask with a two hole stopper, tubing, water, yadda yadda.

As expected the fish did not look very good after a cigarette's worth of smoke was bubbled through his water.  What I didn't expect was an outcry from the rest of the class to save the fish... so we terminated the experiment as soon as the outcome became apparent and transferred the fading fish back into some fresh water. I think the fish did manage some form of miraculous recovery, while I can't vouch for how long he lived after that (the official story is we saved him  ::)). 

Nerds can have fun too...  8)

JR 

Sure can  ..  :)    Eatables and more specifically, 'coffee-ables'  are much more civilised than smoking ..  most of the time.

The 'fish experiment' account' reminds me of an article in a really old (70s) book I that describes some early govt testing of weed strength.  It involved putting tincture in fish bowls with some fortunate fishies acting as 'canaries'  [in the coal mine].

A tonne of weed later, the fish are suitable red-eyed  but still 'flapping'  ...  no matter - the scienticians put them in a blender on 'whiz'.

Apparently they then put in the 'gieger counter'  [cannabinol detection probe]  and took measurements, trying to determine the 'lethal dose'  ..  which was never reached, even with these poor-but-happy-to-the-end fishies.

From the 'Handbook of Hashish'  which was a much more factual work  than the  'Childs Garden of Grass' publication  .. done in a similar vein  :)

I smoked pot and finally got a significant buzz for the first time in my life about 2 years ago...was seeing a yoga instructor from Mass and she takes a hit at least once a day...it took three different attempts for me to finally feel anything at all other than dizzy from trying to inhale so much (three different occasions)...then I did get it...

It was a little bit like riding a very strange ride and not caring that I really had very little control of my body for a few hours...strange in a relaxing kind of way.

Then it was over.

That was it.

I fully support the medicinal side of it, my brother who died of pancreatic cancer depended on it to alleviate the nausea and some of the pain during the chemo stage...(it was a pill form which was pretty expensive damn you drug companies!)...

I also support the recreational side as long as people are not impaired in public...(same rule for alcohol)...

I cannot imagine smoking ANYTHING for as long as Willie has would be something you could do and not damage your esophagus and lungs quite profusely...I find it amazing he still has a voice at all considering all the rumors about how much he smokes (which might be an exaggeration)...

As for me...it was a fun ride once...but part of that fun was attached to the woman I was seeing and since we are simply friends now I have no desire to try it anymore...I do believe that certain people get addicted to it...addiction is NOT a one size fits all kind of issue...there are plenty of other substances SOME people are addicted to while the rest of people remain unaffected...but there are definitely some people I know addicted to pot...addiction is not simply a chemical equation...

I'm addicted to very strong coffee...

> testing of weed strength.  It involved putting tincture in fish bowls with some fortunate fishies

Here in Maine, one lobster shack proposed putting lobsters in pot-water before boiling. In a trial run they reported the lobsters seemed more relaxed. It may be a kindness. It raised too many eyebrows to go forward.

iomegaman said:
I smoked pot and finally got a significant buzz for the first time in my life about 2 years ago...was seeing a yoga instructor from Mass and she takes a hit at least once a day...it took three different attempts for me to finally feel anything at all other than dizzy from trying to inhale so much (three different occasions)...then I did get it...

It was a little bit like riding a very strange ride and not caring that I really had very little control of my body for a few hours...strange in a relaxing kind of way.

Then it was over.

That was it.

I fully support the medicinal side of it, my brother who died of pancreatic cancer depended on it to alleviate the nausea and some of the pain during the chemo stage...(it was a pill form which was pretty expensive damn you drug companies!)...
The "munchies" are a well reported side effect, good that the munchies can serve some useful purpose. Chemo sucks, poisoning the body just short of killing the patient. My sister's cancer took her fairly quickly, but they kept my brother alive for 5+ years after diagnosing him with gut cancer.  I guess this is considered an improvement. My cousin who died of gut cancer over a decade ago only lasted 6 months (but he probably didn't have $500k worth of insurance coverage to spend on extraordinary treatments). 

CBD is reportedly some miracle drug... I experimented with some for my arthritic knee to reduce imlammation... No bueno, from either CBD capsules ingested, or a CBD lotion rubbed on, but who knows whats actually inside the unregulated products.
I also support the recreational side as long as people are not impaired in public...(same rule for alcohol)...
or operating heavy machinery (like factory forklifts, but including cars and trucks). We are no doubt learning more about this in the early states that legalized recreational pot.
I cannot imagine smoking ANYTHING for as long as Willie has would be something you could do and not damage your esophagus and lungs quite profusely...I find it amazing he still has a voice at all considering all the rumors about how much he smokes (which might be an exaggeration)...
reportedly he quit because of the smoke. Vaping offers a somewhat safer delivery system but people are now dying from vaping THC, no doubt from unregulated, untested additives (I've heard vit E can be toxic to lungs when vaped).
As for me...it was a fun ride once...but part of that fun was attached to the woman I was seeing and since we are simply friends now I have no desire to try it anymore...I do believe that certain people get addicted to it...addiction is NOT a one size fits all kind of issue...there are plenty of other substances SOME people are addicted to while the rest of people remain unaffected...but there are definitely some people I know addicted to pot...addiction is not simply a chemical equation...
I've never seen anyone actually addicted to pot, while I have know people who abused all kinds of drugs (even dying from it). One couple I knew dropped more acid in a week, than people should in a lifetime. Their brains were fried, or operating on a higher astral plane depending on your perspective.  :eek:

Of course people can and do get addicted to the dopamine release caused by THC. This stimulates the reward or pleasure center of the brain. People also get addicted to sex, and sugar donuts for the same reason. 
I'm addicted to very strong coffee...
Regular coffee consumption can cause is a real physical dependency. It is a central nervous system stimulant and classic withdrawal can include crushing headaches.  While younger I drank way too much coffee and recall one weekend visiting my parents when they didn't tell me they were feeding me decaf... my body told me, and a cup of regular joe cured that after I figured out what was happening.

Now I can miss a day of coffee without any physical consequences, but choose not to. (I roast my own coffee from green beans and really like good coffee, but only drink one pot a day. )

JR 

PRR said:
> testing of weed strength.  It involved putting tincture in fish bowls with some fortunate fishies

Here in Maine, one lobster shack proposed putting lobsters in pot-water before boiling. In a trial run they reported the lobsters seemed more relaxed. It may be a kindness. It raised too many eyebrows to go forward.
Probably cheaper and legal to get the lobsters drunk...

JR

PRR said:

Love it!  [and lobsters too]

And yes, for those who have been on 'chemo'  [like I was until recently], the med eatables really make the difference.

Lucky for me, I had a gradual but proper recovery and was able to get back to weight and fitness.

Nowadays I make sure to 'stay strong' physically and mentally and the 'medicals' help and continue to do so hugely.

That and all the doctors, chemo meds and 'monoclonal antibody' therapies  :)  which are now no longer necessary  YAY!

alexc said:
And yes, for those who have been on 'chemo'  [like I was until recently], the med eatables really make the difference.

Lucky for me, I had a gradual but proper recovery and was able to get back to weight and fitness.

Nowadays I make sure to 'stay strong' physically and mentally and the 'medicals' help and continue to do so hugely.

That and all the doctors, chemo meds and 'monoclonal antibody' therapies  :)  which are now no longer necessary  YAY!
Congrats on beating the dreaded C, cancer sucks.

JR

Latest posts

Back