Plug and Socket

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Imagine all of the words that 'echo the past we do not want' are now gone, struck from the vernacular and eventually, minds.  Would that state of mind make us more or less likely to repeat the past? Also what guarantee do we have that ideal state of language won't itself eventually be found wanting? How many words do we have to forget before perfection is achieved?

https://www.change.org/p/audio-engineering-society-change-gendered-and-slavery-derived-terms-in-the-audio-industry

No flame wars please. I'm genuinely asking, does the policing of words in reality make things better or worse?

There is a long history of words being policed. Did the Church prevent the progress of information? Galileo in the 1600s, Darwin in the 1800s?  The church still fights against the teaching of science in classrooms (evolution) and has led the effort to ban books all through the last century.  Authoritarian governments currently try to suppress information - China is getting major attention and blacks out significant amounts. ( and the history of the cultural revolution is particularly dark )
But with the seismic shock the internet brought, editing out anything is virtually impossible (in countries without authoritarian governments that can control ISPs).

Of the major forces that suppress freedom, information, and ideas, there are multiple forces:  social (including religion), government, and economic (which includes corporate censorship as well as firing speech offenders). All three are worth worry - especially in turbulent times.

I am not worried about government policing (in 'free' countries) as we live in an era of the least censorship and most mass communication in all of history. I am most worried about economic/corporate.  I think the 'tolerance' side from social forces is the least worrisome, as it is the most open to debate, but obviously others find this the most worrisome.  Social policing is the most visible, corporate/economic is the least visible.

That article is intentionally working for clicks & outrage to a certain extent to grab eyeballs.  But I do think some self-awareness of language is important and good -  for instance, I play in a co-ed rec sports league and I (and others) make an effort to use 'person' defense instead of 'man' defense. It is a small thing, but it is a good change that makes it more welcoming of all players (and the league is limited by the amount of women that sign up, so it is in everyone's best interest to make it more welcoming). Nobody is being forced to change or "canceled" if they do not.  No history is being erased.  But obviously the real world is very different than the culture of offense & outrage on the internet.

I'm genuinely asking, does the policing of words in reality make things better or worse?

Words have and always will be policed - I don't think this question recognizes the scope of the concept. It's not something that has ever not been a major component of human civilization.

boji said:
Imagine all of the words that 'echo the past we do not want' are now gone, struck from the vernacular and eventually, minds.  Would that state of mind make us more or less likely to repeat the past? Also what guarantee do we have that ideal state of language won't itself eventually be found wanting? How many words do we have to forget before perfection is achieved?

https://www.change.org/p/audio-engineering-society-change-gendered-and-slavery-derived-terms-in-the-audio-industry

No flame wars please. I'm genuinely asking, does the policing of words in reality make things better or worse?
This has also been well inspected in the science fiction...  IMO not better.

JR

didn't whirlwind try a genderless connector? Yes, their mass connector is genderless. but in reality each connector has pins and sockets.  I would love to hear alternatives, I guess xlr 3 socket  and xlr 3 pin would be too much?

> What would George Carlin say?

Sh!t, pi$$, f_ck, c_nt, c0cksucker, mudderfudder, and tits.

You can prick your finger but you can't finger your prick.

I propose replacing Male and Female with prick and c**t. Gender is complex. Parts are simple.

This thing where people feel the need to announce a bunch of pro-nouns after their name , jesus wept  ;D

Latest posts

Back