Dad & Son Build a Thompson-Bell Custom Tube Console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh start a year later.

Understandably, this past year we canceled all film shoots which meant our build cycle changed, but so did our platform.

To the point. Our website will launch March. 1, 2021.

www.majesticelectric.org

Majestic Electric we named our program after Canadian Vacuum Tube pioneer Sir. Samuel Rogers Sr.

A few additions to our team. Our 3 year old daughter has taken a shine to soldering with Dad, which means mom is now on board taking lead in several areas. She has owned/sold our post audio facility and is a well versed addition.

We are attempting to ramp up again and build as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience and support.

Wall & Family

With Inductors ORDERED!

There were some major revelations this week onset by a short conversation with @Rocinante surrounding power supply and distribution and then a email explanation regarding block diagrams from @ruffrecords

I will say that with this new confidence other worries, soldering skills, timeline etc. evaporated while creating a what we now feel to be an ideal platform for education.

As simple a format as we could conceptualize is a roll over web based app that helps users interface with BOM, Components and CTC design option in a progressive formulated layout.

That said, we have a lot of great momentum and support spread out over the year and hope that we can get some other GDIY members building CTC designs along side us.

Be Well :)

We've have come to the realization that we are simply getting no traction or communication on the GDIY forum. Being unbalanced, majorly mentally disabled, the discrimination I expirence every day in life has resulted in me being a recluse for 8 years.

Attempting to act normal and connect with people has become very unmotivating for me.

I will share images for GDIY to ignore as they are completed. No hard feelings, discrimination is very real.

Be well!

People do look, just may not have time to interact or nothing to add.  You never know when people may chime in, or message you.  I get messages from posts that are many years old somewhat regularly.  Keep up the good work!

matriachamplification said:
We've have come to the realization that we are simply getting no traction or communication on the GDIY forum. Being unbalanced, majorly mentally disabled, the discrimination I expirence every day in life has resulted in me being a recluse for 8 years.

Attempting to act normal and connect with people has become very unmotivating for me.

I will share images for GDIY to ignore as they are completed. No hard feelings, discrimination is very real.

Be well!

I don't understand this post at all.

That was D.I.D., outbursts are called Alters. Sorry, its a defense mechanism from my illness.

Site now live

https://www.majesticelectric.org/

Hey Wall,
no need to apologize, all good.
I don't know how similar we are with our illness but, going on what you've witten before, I think I sometimes find I'm in a similar situation as you in terms of symptoms.

Me:
2000's and living in the U.S., all is fine except an undiagnozed head injury from an attack 15 yeas ago.  Insurance wouldn't pay for a brain scan at the time but I did get my nose sown back on so that's something... 

Took some time for the bad stuff to manifest, but my life went to complete sh*t starting 10 yeas ago.   
First homelessness, then got a job while living at the homeless shelter on Lankershim Blvd., but committed a felony crime (grand theft), so 1 year in L.A. County Jail, then the ICE detention centre, then deportation and back in the UK.

Within two months of being back, the NHS here took care of me and I got the proper diagnosis: -
Temporal Mesial Sclerosis with Complex Partial Seizures. 
I also have terrible bouts of depression.  Sometimes I just can't interact with anyone at all.

Be kind to yourself.  You're making good progress

X

Winston O'Boogie said:
Hey Wall,
no need to apologize, all good.
I don't know how similar we are with our illness but, going on what you've witten before, I think I sometimes find I'm in a similar situation as you in terms of symptoms.

Me:
2000's and living in the U.S., all is fine except an undiagnozed head injury from an attack 15 yeas ago.  Insurance wouldn't pay for a brain scan at the time but I did get my nose sown back on so that's something... 

Took some time for the bad stuff to manifest, but my life went to complete sh*t starting 10 yeas ago.   
First homelessness, then got a job while living at the homeless shelter on Lankershim Blvd., but committed a felony crime (grand theft), so 1 year in L.A. County Jail, then the ICE detention centre, then deportation and back in the UK.

Within two months of being back, the NHS here took care of me and I got the proper diagnosis: -
Temporal Mesial Sclerosis with Complex Partial Seizures. 
I also have terrible bouts of depression.  Sometimes I just can't interact with anyone at all.

Be kind to yourself.  You're making good progress

X

My family and I appreciate both your openeness and honesty. Sorry to hear it took so long to get diagnosed. That must have felt like both a shock and a releif.

Like discussed we would still very much like to discuss some initiatives that are perfect to work on together as well as actually desingned around mental health.

We are planning a trip to the UK once/if the pandemic is sorted. My wifes family is in Shefield. We can chat over a pint and some crisps.

Whats the best way to communicate with you?

Here is my email. [email protected]

Site now live

https://www.majesticelectric.org/

Hi!
What a fantastic thing you have created. I would love to be part of that community!
Please let us know when you have more of the program info up on the site. I would love to join the membership. But would love to get a peek into what to expect.

Have a great day.
//Ted

Ted Krotkiewski said:
Hi!
What a fantastic thing you have created. I would love to be part of that community!
Please let us know when you have more of the program info up on the site. I would love to join the membership. But would love to get a peek into what to expect.

Have a great day.
//Ted

Thanks Ted!

Yes, we had to simplify 6 years of research and opted for minimal to start. That said... We are working diligintly on the website and a mock up of our program. I will ping you when its completed :)

United Sound Research

USR is the official banner we have opted to create in order to organize our goals.

"The Apprentices Guide to Building a Custom Tube Recording Console"

With the understanding that we are creating this to teach OUR children Vacuum Tube technology, the template created we hope to be utilized by members of our collective to create their own programs. My wife is always saying "Wall you can't build EVERYTHING!"... no but I can curate a way to see everything being built :)

With YOUR help, we WILL complete MANY Group DIY conversations!

FIRST DESIGN PROJECT - Painton Fader Design & Manufacturing

Oh yes... we will have a modern version of these faders in all our consoles. Unless I pass away first, this is my main passion project within the CTC build.

www.majesticelectric.org

Im so into this project, please PM me if you need another believer to bounce ideas off of.
My kids are in a montessori education environment, which is amazing for young children, but ill defined for middle school and high school age students. Some of the best high school montessori programs are farm based, and I think that’s great, but it also presents an opportunity to a materials provider like yourself to help them bridge the gap, and sneak in some theory.
A hands on connection to the material is essential, Im so excited about this project!

corgan4321 said:
Following along - very interested!

Chrisfromthepast said:
Im so into this project, please PM me if you need another believer to bounce ideas off of.
My kids are in a montessori education environment, which is amazing for young children, but ill defined for middle school and high school age students. Some of the best high school montessori programs are farm based, and I think that’s great, but it also presents an opportunity to a materials provider like yourself to help them bridge the gap, and sneak in some theory.
A hands on connection to the material is essential, Im so excited about this project!

Fantastic! One ongoing issue we've had on the farm is internet. If not for Elon Musk' Space X (we watched the launch) and Star Link internet, we would not be able to offer this program comfortably or confidently.

We have worked diligently to curate the proper manufacturing partners for our prgrams tools and parts to rack the scope of our focus to single conversations. This has been A LOT of work but in the end a worthy goal that we've triumphed over.

@Chrisfromthepast I will PM you today. Just drinking my afternoon pot of coffee.

Wall

After 2 weeks I have settled on a "style" for our websites home page.

www.majesticelectric.org

It has contact as well as a wip Console Design & Registration form.

We will be adding small details over time to the main page but most of our effort is focused on building! Today we received our new Fluke Multimeter, Soldering Station as well as Carnhill Inductors from Audio Maintenence!
Very exciting times in on the farm!

First up... we are building a Elanco DIY Soldering Station for our Apprenticeship Orientation. Hopefully we still have all the parts. This will also act as a early sneak peak at your lesson plans format. We are using an app called 123 Forum Builder which allows us to add all our course material directly onto the testing format.

ruffrecords said:
Mechanics is always a problem area so Wall is basing his mechanical approach on the crossover console idea I discussed in my most recent blog post:

Finnally have a chance to read back and follow up on some early discussions. Yes, after falling deep into the learning hole we are once again focused on our enclosure and have a design being fleshed out by the team at SRS in the UK.

Attached is the blueprint for our enclosure (reworked from a draft of Mr. Thompson-Bells design).

The CTC14 is a 14 Channel Custom Tube Console with 12 EuroChannels plus 2 Channels for Master Section Control. The 12 Channel Strips will have swappable EQ's that are connected via a undecided connection linked between the EuroChannel and Passive EQ Cards.

We've added a peak for metering as well as provisions for table legs. The other feature not seen here is the keyboard tray and "hidden" dual rack spaces under the workspace.

Once SRS and my family decide on particulars we will share the full details of whats happening.

On a side note... we are beginning to desing a Tube Compressor based on Mr. Thompson-Bells card system. I will post a blurb once I have a solid idea of what Tube Compressor design we are focusing on.

Attachments

• Wybault_A__Blueprint 2.png
    Wybault_A__Blueprint 2.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 17
Hello GDIY

We have reached that point where our site now has the visual and presentation/quiz designs we were aiming for. With the understanding that our family is still consolidating content, including our websites informational tone, there is a lot of information about our families program, Majestic Electric, inside.

My wife and I have no delusions regarding any participation in our initiative as we are doing this for personal growth. We do hope you will join our cause though :)

However I would love some feedback on the website if you should happen to have something constructive we can work on to make things better.

www.majesticelectric.org

Back