Vinyl Cut

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EmRR said:
My other vinyl mastering experiences have all been 'pre-cut master', meaning general mastering for all formats without final limiting, then a fork in the road with 1) limiting for CD/streaming 2) any vinyl specific touches with no limiting applied.    44K1/16 reduction for CD, vinyl left hi-res.
Makes sense. However, for mainstream productions, extreme limiting is part of a title's sonic signature. Leaving it to two different ME's would probably result in significant differences between the CD and vinyl releases, beyond the inherent format-related differences. Maybe that's why  some prefer vinyl over CD...

abbey road d enfer said:
extreme limiting is part of a title's sonic signature. Leaving it to two different ME's would probably result in significant differences between the CD and vinyl releases

I haven't heard a vinyl guy say they wanted limiting on the files they received, though certainly they got those.  I don't do heavily limited mixes, so....

Heavy limiting  doesn’t prevent a good cut.  Audible distortion does.  In the early oughts it was common in indie rock to digitally clip the crap out of everything. More for sound than for level. It took me a little while to figure out how to cut that stuff but it didn’t prevent a good cut. That’s the job. I don’t complain about hard jobs.

Gold said:
Heavy limiting  doesn’t prevent a good cut.  Audible distortion does.  In the early oughts it was common in indie rock to digitally clip the crap out of everything. More for sound than for level. It took me a little while to figure out how to cut that stuff but it didn’t prevent a good cut. That’s the job. I don’t complain about hard jobs.

Good to know.  I had been led to think differently.

Latest posts

Back